Circa 1861 (923 North Benton) - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.447 W 090° 29.001
15S E 718576 N 4296569
Johann and Katerina Bredenbeck House. This building is number 134 in the Commons Neighborhood District.
Waymark Code: WM17J0E
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 02/25/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: N Benton Ave., 3rd house N of Morgan St., E side, St. Charles
Built: 1862
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Federal
Original Occupant: Johann and Katerina Bredenbeck
Historic District Map
* Indicates Military Service

Marker Text:

CIRCA 1861

1830 - Part of Block 10 of Nathan Boone's survey of the Commons

1831 - Home built. (according to tax records).

1841 - Part of Pallardie's subdivision of the Commons (5 August 1841).

1857 - Johann Bredenbeck immigrated to America from Prussia.

*1861 - Johann Bredenbeck USRC, St. Charles County Home Guard Regiment, Krekel's Bn, Co. B.

1864 - Johann and Katarina Brendenbeck purchased lots 11 & 12 of Pallardie's Subdivision from
   Joseph and Caroline Rosker. The house was built in the form that it is today. It is a four bay ½
   house and is in nearly pristine condition. The effect is that of a cabin, but executed in soft
   paste brick. (Sun dried, rather than kiln dried).
     The style is Federal with with the work porch under the principal roof. Many examples exist
   throughout St. Charles but, very few exist, like this one, without having dormers or additions.
   The Bredenbeck's had five children. Minna, Wilhelm, and Frederick survived.

1872 - Johann Bredenbeck died.

1911 - Katarina died. A son, Frederick, (Fred) and his wife, Line assumed ownership. Fred worked 25
   years for the Wabash Railroad. Fred and Line raised seven children, all born in this home.

*1917 - Elmer F. Bredenbeck, son of Fred and Line, served in U.S. Army Company K, 138th Infantry

1942 - Frederick (Fred) Bredenbeck died.

*1944 - Ralph Bredenbeck, son of Fred and Line, served in USN Argus Units 33 and 30.

1946 - Line died. A daughter of Fred and Line, Leona (Lee) Bredenbeck-Grosslass and her husband,
   Albert, obtained ownership of the property.

1976 - Upon Lee's death a brother, Melvin Bredenbeck, and his wife Ella nee Pickering purchased the
   home from his siblings. He and Ella operated Bredenbeck's market at 1615 Randolph Steet for
   thirty years. Melvin served several years as a City Councilman. He also served as a volunteer

1978 - Melvin Died. Ownership remained with his wife Ella Bredenbeck.

2004 - Ella Bredenbeck died. The property passed to Melvin and Ella's granddaughter establishing
   a cycle of more than 140 years, and 5 generations, of single family ownership.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: 1862
Style/Design: Federal
This house has remained in the same family since its construction.
  According to a plaque in the front yard, in 1864 Johann and Katerina Bredenbeck purchased Lots 11 & 12 of Pallardie’s Subdivision and built the house. Johann died in 1872 and in 1911 Katerina passed away. Their son Freiderich (Fred) and daughter-in-law Line then assumed ownership and raised 7 children, all born in this house. Fred, who worked for the Wabash Railroad for 25 years, died in 1942 and Line died in 1946. Their daughter Leona (Lee) and her husband, Albert W. Grossklaus, then became the owners. After Leona’s death in 1976, her brother Melvin Bredenbeck and his wife Ella purchased the property. Melvin died in 1978 and Ella died in 2004. The property was then inherited by their granddaughter, the current owner.

"Enclosed by an ornamental double-loop woven wire fence, this 100’x156’ lot is a certified wildlife habitat. A concrete sidewalk leads from the street to the gallery, where it then turns right to wrap around the north side of the house. Landscape beds span the front of the gallery and mature trees shade the large yard. Behind the house is a small, 1-story, side-gabled, painted concrete block outbuilding. On the west slope of the roof is an interior brick chimney. Two window openings are on the west elevation and one is on the north, but plain un-paneled shutters obscure the windows. The outbuilding is not shown on the 1929 Sanborn map but it does appear to be more than 50 years old and is contributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase IV, PDF pages 675-679

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.