Reynolds County
N 37° 17.072 W 090° 57.413
15S E 681119 N 4128393
Reynolds County Historical Marker between Ellington & Centerville along Missouri HWY 21
Waymark Code: WM17JD
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 02/12/2007
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member OzarksJim
Views: 29

Detailed description of the settling of Reynolds County Missouri and its early development. Major developments in the county and its communities are highlighted.

[Ed. Note: to update an bring into line this waymark, the marker text will be added]

Marker Text:

In an area of rugged beauty near the geologic center of the Ozark Highland, Reynolds County was organized 1845, and named for Missouri's 7th governor, Thomas Reynolds. Drained by the Black River, called L'eau Noire by early French trappers, the county lies in land claimed by the Osage Indians until 1808. Kentuckian Henry Fry was probably the first settler in 1812.

Centerville, the second town to serve as county seat, is on the West Fork of Black River. 80 acres were acquired there from John Buford for $100 in 1845. It succeeded Lesterville as the county seat when the courthouse there burned, 1867.1 Centerville had a courthouse, 1872. In Civil War , troops and guerrilla bands foraged the area.

Clearwater Lake, in southeast Reynolds County, flood control measure and popular resort area, was impounded by a dam built on Black River, 1940-48. Near Lesterville is Johnson Shut-Ins State Park, opened 1956, on land donated by Joseph Desloge. The scenic shut-ins, where East Fork of Black River flows over some of Missouri's oldest exposed rock, is named for an earlier settler.

Reynolds County, resort, lumbering, and livestock farming area, was once one of the State's leading timber producers. About 85 percent of the virgin pine forests were cut out in the lumbering boom on the 1880's to 1920's. During 1898, a peak year, some 92 million board feet were produced. A large part of the county is now in Clark National Forest, established during the 1930's.2

The lumber industry brought the Mill Spgs., Current R., Barnesville (Mo. Southern) Railroad. No longer operating, it was built through west Reynolds County in 1884-86. Ellington, founded 1847, by Thomas Barnes was a prominent lumber town and shipping center. Ruble, Corridon, Reynolds, Garwood, and Bunker were other shipping stations. Redford, Black, Monterey, and Greeley are among other county communities.

Near Lesterville at Proffit Mtn. (altitude 800 feet) is Taum Sauk power station built 1960-63. Water pumped at night through a 7000-foot tunnel cut through solid granite to reservoir atop the mountain is released to create daytime power by flowing down to reservoir at the foot of the mountain made by damming East Fork of Black River.

History of Mark:

Marker was erected in 1961
Marker was erected by: State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission

1) The first courthouse in Centerville opened in 1850 and was burned in 1863. The second courthouse built in 1867, burned in 1871.
2.) Clark National Forest was combined with the Mark Twain National Forest in 1976.

Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
YoSam. visited Reynolds County 09/08/2006 YoSam. visited it

View all visits/logs