Circa 1910 (721 Decatur) - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.371 W 090° 29.256
15S E 718211 N 4296417
This building is number 179 in the Commons Neighborhood District.
Waymark Code: WM17RQE
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 03/30/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Geo Ferret
Views: 1

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: Decatur St., 5th house W of N. 7th St., S side, St. Charles
Built: 1910
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival
Original Occupant: George and Louisa Klinghammer
Historic District Map

Marker Text:

Circa 1910
721 Decatur

1830 - Part of Nathan Boone's survey of the Commons

1848 - At 19 yrs. of age. Mr. George Klingerhammer, who was born in Alsace, France, emigrated to
    the United States with his father, George Senior and his mother Margaret (Anstap)

1850 - George Klinghammer Junior went to New Orleans, worked there for three years as a
    blacksmith and in 1852 married Miss Catherine Moore. They had six children.

1871 - After his return to St. Charles to farm with his father and the death of Catherine, he married
    Miss Louise Quade. They also had six children.

1898 - The house next door, East (717 Decatur) was Built for the retirement of Mr. Klinghammer.
    This whole block was at one time part of his estate.

1910 - 921 North Decatur was built for the Klinghammers when they subdivided the block. It is
    a simple four square with Greek Revival overtones. The older home at 717 Decatur was sold
    to Mr. Frank B. Borgmeyer.

1925 - This property was then occupied by Mr. Bredensteiner and his wife Annie and their children
    until 1944.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: 1910
Style/Design: Colonial Revival
According to a plaque in the yard, this house was built in 1910 for George Klinghammer, who was already retired, and his wife Louisa. Prior to building this house, the Klinghammers lived next door in the duplex at 717 Decatur. The plaque indicates that at one time the Klinghammers owned the entire block, which they subdivided in 1910. The Klinghammers owned this house until 1925, when it was purchased by Mr. Bredensteiner and his wife Annie, and they occupied it until 1944.

"A public sidewalk spans the front of this elevated 45’x132’ lot. A concrete sidewalk with stairway having 7 steps leads from the street to the gallery, and a metal handrail is along the west side of the stairway. The lot’s front slope is covered with ivy and mature trees shade the yard. The rear yard is enclosed with a vinyl picket fence and an arched arbor is at the gate on the east side of the house. A small shed is in the rear yard but it is not being inventoried because it is movable." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase IV, PDF pages 923-926

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.