Circa 1940 (609 N. Sixth Street) - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.309 W 090° 29.158
15S E 718356 N 4296306
This building is number 43 in the Commons Neighborhood District.
Waymark Code: WM17WKF
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 04/13/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Geo Ferret
Views: 1

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: N 6th St., 2nd house N of Lewis St., W side, St. Charles
Built: 1936
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Minimal Traditional
Original Occupant: Emil H. and Helen E. Lehenbaue
Historic District Map

Marker Text:

Circa 1940

609 N. Sixth Street

1830 Part of Nathen Boone's survey of The Commons.

1857 Part of Jeremiah Fletcher Riggs Subdivision.

1867 Part of John Wilke's property. (Alley to Lewis) He was a Civil War Veteran and bought 603
    N. 6th Street.

1902 Henry Kettler bought 603 N 6th Street. He was also a veteran of the Civil War and Wilke's
    lifelong family friend.

1930 Mr. and Mrs. Kettler sub-divided this lot for their daughter and her husband, William Schnarre.

1932 This property was sold to Emil B. Lehenbauer and his wife Helen. He was an instructor at
    Immanuel Lutheran School on the 6th Street.

1940 City directory lists the home with this address. It is a variation of a brick Tudor Cottage and
    was built for the Lenhenbauers.

1957 Dr. Fredrick Niedner and his wife Dorthea (nee Schroeter), retired to this home after an
    illustrious career in Lutheran Ministries. He had serv ed 32 years as pastor Immanuel Lutheran
    Church in St. Charles. Prior service included 1910 to 1912 as a missionary in St. Paul and
    Minneapolis. He founded Christ Lutheran Church in Minneapolis. He continued serving the
    community as Red Cross chairman, community council member, President of the Rotary Club,
    and Historical Society director. He received the "Distinguished Citizen Award" in 1971.
    He died in 1974.

2011 Property sold and current residents reside.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: circa 1936
Style/Design: Minimal Traditional
Based on city directory research, this house was built between 1934 and 1938. The home was owned by Emil H. and Helen E. Lehenbauer. Mr. Lehenbauer was a teacher at the Lutheran School.

"Elevated above the public sidewalk, this 50’x129’ lot has an alley extending along its north boundary. A concrete sidewalk with two stairways (one with four steps and the other with two) leads to the arcade. Landscape beds edged with stones line the front and north walls of the house, and landscape beds edged with landscaping timbers span the front of the lot. A mature hardwood tree is at the northeast corner. A front-gabled, variegated brick, 1-car garage is at the northwest corner of the lot. It has a concrete foundation and soldier course water table. It appears that the door(s) on the east façade may have been replaced, but it is difficult to see due to the privacy fence. There are no openings on the north (alley) elevation. The garage is contemporary with the house and is contributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase IV, PDF pages 190-193

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.