Circa 1893 (725 North Fifth Street) - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.333 W 090° 28.982
15S E 718610 N 4296357
This building is number 11 in the Commons Neighborhood District. It seems the famous Victorian porch has been removed.
Waymark Code: WM182N0
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 05/18/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: N 5th St., 2nd house S of Franklin St., W side, St. Charles
Built: 1893
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Federal
Original Occupant: Conrad J. and Lizzie Broeckelmann
Historic District Map

Marker Text:

Circa 1893
725 North Fifth Street

1830 - Part of Nathan Boone's survey of the Commons.
1837 - Part of Dr. Andrew Wilson's lease of the Commons.
1857 - Partitioned among the heirs of Dr. Andrew Wilson who subdivided the area as Wilson's
1893 - This St. Charles brick home was built in the four bay, double door, simplified Federal style. The
   brick trim at the roofline plus the fan shaped window and door lintels are typical, locally. Note the
   two Greek Revival dormers and the Queen Anne porch trim. A full width work porch was across
   the back, but has since been enclosed. The recent addition of a wing at the rear has added living space.
1894 - Tax records indicate Conrad Broeckelman paid taxes on his lot equivalent to a home being
   there. Mr. Broeckelman married Elizabeth Bartles January 18, 1891. At this time he was a
1910 - Conrad Broeckelman and his wife, known as Lizzie, retained ownership and Conrad at this time
   worked as a carpenter for A.C.F. (American Car and Foundry).
1945 - Conrad Broeckelman, now a widower, resided here with his daughter, Clotilda, who worked at
   St. Joseph's Hospital.
1950 - Clotilda Broeckelman resided here alone until 1960: 65 years of single family ownership.
   The home then passed to Mrs. Carroll Howell. (nee Parties) Clotilda's cousin.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: 1893
Style/Design: Federal with Folk Victorian porch
A plaque in the front yard states that the house was built in 1893 for Conrad Broeckelmann and his wife Elizabeth Bartles Broeckelmann.
  At that time Mr. Broeckelmann was employed as a bartender, and he continued to work as a bartender until at least1906, based on the city directories. However, according to the yard plaque, by 1910 he was working as a carpenter at the American Car and Foundry Co.
  The 1906 city directory indicates that Burt and Jessie Blessing were also living in the house, and Mr. Blessing was employed as a laborer. The earliest Sanborn Insurance map to show this block dates to 1909, and it and the 1917 and 1929 maps show the house as a duplex. It presently is a single-family dwelling. By 1945 Mrs. Broeckelmann had died, and her husband continued to reside in the house with their daughter Clotilda, who worked at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Mr. Broeckelmann died in 1950, and Clotilda occupied the house until 1960, when it was inherited by Mrs. Carroll Howell, Clotilda’s cousin.

"A brick sidewalk extends from the public sidewalk to the gallery and continues along the south side of the house. The lot is flat and is planted with ornamental shrubs and trees. At the rear of the property is a one-and-one-half story, three-car, side-gabled frame garage. Opening onto the alley, the two overhead doors each have four horizontal flat sections. There is a large area of wall above these two openings, and on the south elevation is a 6/6 window on each level. The garage was built in 1996 and is noncontributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase IV, PDF pages 49-52

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.