1892 (1027 N. Fifth St.) - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.474 W 090° 28.912
15S E 718704 N 4296621
Sitting on the SW corner on the eastern edge of this historic district. This building is number 28 in the Commons Neighborhood District.
Waymark Code: WM184RG
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 05/30/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member muddawber
Views: 0

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: N 5th St., Lawrence St., SW corner, St. Charles
Built: 1892
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Folk Victorian
Original Occupant: Adolph and Carrie Bogel
Historic District Map

Marker Text:

1027 N. Fifth St.

1830 - Lot # 10 of Nathan Boone's survey of the Commons.

1883 - Commons ground leased to Pierrè Pallardie.

1889 - Joseph Kettelhake, a carpenter and widower, purchased this lot.

1892 - The home was built about this time. It is a full brick Queen Anne with hipped roof and lower
   gables front and side. The bay window, iron trim, turned porch posts, spindle frieze and cut work
   are all Queen Anne styling. The brick dentil work trim at the soffit line is typical of St. Charles.

1908 - The directory lists Edward H Thro, secretary/treasurer of the Home Milling Company,
   906-912 Second Street, resided here with his wife Elizabeth.

1912 - Christ W. Meyer (a farmer) and his wife, Minnie, bought the home from Joseph Kettelhake.

1918 - ★ Francis D. Miller, C. M. 3rd Class, U.S. Navy and Harry C. Miller, Cpl. Inf. U.S. Army served
   during World War I. ★ Sons of James Miller, a painter at A.C.F. ahd his wife, Catherine,
   who resided here 1914-1920.

1920 - Christ W. Meyer and Minnie owned this property until.

1948 - The Meyers sold to Aloyosius F. Hollander, a steel foreman at A.C.F. and his wife, Alma.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: circa 1892
Style/Design: Folk Victorian/Hip with Cross Gables
According to the County’s tax parcels database, this house was built in 1892. The address does not appear in the 1891-92 city directory but may have been built shortly after the directory was published. The address is listed in the next available directory, which was published in 1906. At that time the occupants were Adolph and Carrie Bogel. Mr. Bogel was employed by the American Car & Foundry Company.

"A public sidewalk spans the front of this 50’x140’ corner lot and an alley extends along the rear. A concrete sidewalk with stairway having three steps leads to the portico from the street. Large shrubs extend along the front of the house, and two trees shade the front yard. The rear yard is enclosed by a wood privacy fence, and at the rear of the lot is a 1-story, side-gabled, 1-car garage. The walls are finished with board-and-batten siding, and at the south end of the west façade is a paneled metal overhead door. Based on the Sanborn Insurance maps, the garage was built between 1917 and 1929. It is contributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase IV, PDF pages 126-129

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.