Circa 1892 (1023 North Fifth Street) - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.467 W 090° 28.915
15S E 718699 N 4296608
This building is number 27 in the Commons Neighborhood District.
Waymark Code: WM184Y4
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 05/31/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member muddawber
Views: 0

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: N 5th St., 2nd house S of Lawrence St., SW corner, St. Charles
Built: 1893
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Cross Gabled
Original Occupant: Maragetha (Margaret) Magenheimer
Historic District Map

Marker Text:

CIRCA 1892
1023 North Fifth Street)

1830 ~ Part of Nathan Boone's survey of the Commons.

1837 ~ Part of Andrew Wilson's lease of the Commons

1892 ~ (Circa) This Victorian Folk House, with its brick construction and eclectic details was built
   about this time. Note, the large bay window, transomed side paneled door, the tall narrow simple
   dormer, and the brick fan window lintels.

1894 ~ Tax records of this date indicate that Margaretha Magenheimer paid taxes on a building on
   this site.
   Michael Magenheimer (wife Margaret) and three children are listed as residing at this address.
   Mr. Magenhaimer was a painter as was Leo, his oldest son. Miss Hulda Magenheimer, a daughter
   also lived here, as well as Albert, a student. An 1890 group photo of the employees of A.C.F.
   shows Michael Magenheimer.

1915 ~ The Magenheimers moved, but retained ownership of this house.

1916 ~ Shelby Bishop and his wife Powhatan, (nee Fitts) resided here. He was an employee of A.C.F.

1929 ~ Percy G. Shaefer and his wife Olivia lived here until 1941. He was employed at Shaefer and
   Son Meats located at 1001 North Second Street. Later the business became Shaefer and
   Oelklaus Market.

1942 ~ Hulda and Leo Magenheimer , two of Michael and Margaret's children, returned to live here
   until the property was sold in 1954. (62 years with one family)

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: circa 1893
Style/Design: Cross gabled
According to the County’s tax parcels database, this house was built in 1892. It is not listed in the 1891-92 city directory, but according to the yard plaque, Maragetha (Margaret) Magenheimer paid taxes on a house in this location in 1894. Margaret and her husband Michael Magenheimer lived here with their 3 children. Mr. Magenheimer was a painter, as was his oldest son, Leo. According to the yard plaque, the Magenheimers had moved by 1915 but retained ownership of the house. In 1916 the residents were Shelby Bishop and his wife Powhattan, and he was employed by the American Car & Foundry Co.

A public sidewalk spans the front of this 50’x140’ lot and an alley extends along the rear. A concrete sidewalk with enclosed stairway having three steps leads from the street to the portico. Mature trees shade the front yard and ornamental concrete blocks line the landscape beds around the trees and along the front of the house. The rear yard is enclosed by a wooden privacy fence, and opening onto the alley is a 1-story, frame, front-gabled, 2-car garage. The garage has a concrete foundation, brick wainscot, and Dutch-lap vinyl walls. On the west façade is a paneled metal overhead door. The garage was built in 2011 and is noncontributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase IV, PDF pages 120-124

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.