1201 North Fifth Street - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.537 W 090° 28.883
15S E 718742 N 4296739
House sits high above the street, with a long stairway to reach the yard.
Waymark Code: WM186JJ
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 06/09/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Geo Ferret
Views: 0

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: N 5th St., 2nd house S of Randolph St., W side, St. Charles
Built: 1880
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Side Gabled
Original Occupant: Joe Machler
Historic District Map

Marker Text:

1201 North Fifth Street

(c. 1806) Part of Nathan Boone's survey of the Commons in 1830.

1836 - Bazillie Pallardie purchased for $176.

1837-1859 John McKnight bought and subdivided the lot.

1860 - Halfords built the original four room Folk Victorian brick structure with center hallway, three
   fireplaces, and front and side gables.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: circa 1880
Style/Design: Side-gabled
A plaque in the yard states that the house was built by the Halfords in 1860; however, it is not shown on the 1869 Bird’s Eye View of the city. It was apparently built between 1869 and 1891 (circa 1880) since the address appears in the first available city directory, which was published in 1891. The occupant at that time was Joe Machler, who was employed by the St. Charles Car Company. The occupants in 1906 were Benjamin L. and Annie Emmons. Mr. Emmons was the manager of Emmons Real Estate Title Co. and Notary Public.

"This 98’x175’ property is situated on a very steep hill, high above the street. A concrete stairway with two flights (each with 12 steps) leads from the public sidewalk at the front of the lot to a brick sidewalk that extends to the gallery. Numerous mature trees shade the yard. At the rear of the lot is a 1½-story, side-gabled, 2-car frame garage that was built in 2010. A shed dormer with three 1/1 double-hung vinyl windows is on the front (north) slope of the roof, and a paneled metal door is on the façade. An exterior stairway extends to an entrance in the upper half story of the west elevation. An open breezeway connects the garage to the rear of the house.
The garage is noncontributing due to its date of construction." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase IV, PDF pages 147-151

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.