The Painted House (1818 Watson) - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.321 W 090° 29.871
15S E 717323 N 4296300
This building is number 82 in the Lindenwood Neighborhood District. This home is now known as the Painted House, and is a B&B.
Waymark Code: WM18AFF
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 06/28/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: Watson St. & Anderson St., NE corner, St. Charles
Built: 1910
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Queen Anne Free Classic
Original Occupant: Walter C. and Elnora Wills
Historic District Map

Historic Marker Text:

The Painted House
1818 Watson

The Painted House, Circa 1910, 1818 Watson St., St. Charles

This 2½ story, cross-gabled Queen Anne Free Classic-style home was built in 1910 by Walter and Elnora Wills. Walter and Elnora created the surrounding Lindenwood Heights subdivision in 1905 with Francis and Sarah Becker. Walter was a supply agent for American Car Foundry (ACF), in nearby downtown historic St. Charles.

The Painted House has the original restored wood siding, wood windows and a coursed rock-faced stone foundation. The front porch ceiling is painted haint blue. Folklore says the blue keeps spirits at bay (as they cannot cross the water) or mimics the sky, keeping insects nests away.

The enclosed rear porch on the second floor was once a "sleeping porch", now a colorful mint green guest suite. The large beam on the 3rd floor driveway side of the home was used to hoist furniture and large objects to the 3rd floor, not uncommon in this era.

Around 1941, the owner began subdividing the home into apartments. By 1945, Walter Wills was deceased. His widow lived here until circa 1947. In 1952, the home was purchased by Russell and Joyce Eddington, who also owned the white house around the corner at 111 Anderson. By 1959, Eddington had subdivided the house into 5 apartments.

The colorful interior has much original millwork, pocket doors and Douglas Fir wood floors. Original clawfoot tubs are in two of the bathrooms. The beautiful interior has colorful paint, wallpaper and furniture, as a nod to her Victorian roots.

(Historic information provided by St. Charles Historic Society)

This beautiful home is now offered as a vacation rental.

For more information, please visit our listing on Airbnb.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: 1910
Style/Design: Queen Anne Free Classic
According to the County’s tax parcels database, this house was built in 1910, which is apparently correct. The address is not listed in the 1908-09 city directory, but appears in the 1910 city directory as the home of Walter C. and Elnora Wills. Walter and Elnora, along with Francis and Sarah Becker, created the Lindenwood Heights Subdivision in 1905. Walter was employed as a supply agent for the American Car and Foundry Co. (ACF). The 1941 city directory indicates that an apartment had been created at 1818A, and it was occupied by Elmer Eades, who was also employed by ACF. In 1942 the unit at 1818A was occupied by R. Wayne and Ruby Threkeld, and he was the secretary / treasurer of the St. Charles Motor Co. By 1945 Walter Wills had died, and his widow continued to live here until circa 1947. In 1950, 1818 was occupied by Everett L. and Ethelredo Luetkenhaus and the residents of 1818A were Arthur L. and Jewell Knoor. Luetkenhaus was employed as a clerk at the Army Record Center and Knoor was a salesman for the Keystone Trailer Co. By 1952 the house had been purchased by Russell H. and Joyce Eddington, and he was a clerk at the Ford Manufacturing Co. They owned the house through at least 1959, but in 1959 they had subdivided it into 5 apartments. They lived in one and the other 4 apartments at that time were occupied by Elizabeth Dawson, a teacher at Lindenwood College; Hortense F. Eggman, a librarian at Lindenwood College; Charles Fuqua, a factory worker at McDonnell Aircraft; and Virgil and Bonnie Null, and he was a guard at the Lincoln Mercury plant. By 1963 the Eddingtons did not reside here but the house continued to serve as apartments. By 1970, the house’s apartments were occupied by Paul Dunnerman, a carrier for the U.S. Post Office, and three Lindenwood College students: James Cottrell, William Beck and John Cook.

"Compared to other properties in the neighborhood, this lot is small, being only 70’x85’ in size. It was originally larger, but nearly half of the lot was combined with 111 Anderson Street sometime after 1929. A public sidewalk spans the front and an alley extends along the rear. A sidewalk flanked by shrubs and mature trees leads from the street to the portico, where it then turns right to wrap around the eastern side of the house and lead to the side entrance. Shrubs line the front wall of the house and a landscape bed is along the eastern wall. There are no outbuildings." ~ Lindenwood Historic Survey  PDF pages 421-424

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.