Klippel-Glosier House: 125 Houston Street - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.238 W 090° 29.732
15S E 717528 N 4296152
This Queen Anne Free Classic house, built in 1905, retains much of the original flooring and wood work.
Waymark Code: WM18JBG
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 08/10/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: Houston St., 2nd house W of Sibley St., N side, St. Charles
Built: 1905
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Queen Anne Free Classic
Original Occupant: Frank J. and Bertha Klippe
Historic District Map

Marker Text:

Klippel-Glosier House:
125 Houston Street
Situated on a spacious lawn, this 2½ story frame house was built circa 1905 in the Queen Anne Free Classic style. First owners were Frank J. & Bertha Klippel. He worked for American Car Foundry. Widow Ann Thompson lived here 1916-1920.

Henry Glosier, a livestock buyer, and his wife Anna lived here from 1921-1956. In 1963, Donna and John Wiley (engineer-McDonnell Douglas) raised their family and loved the home for 50 years. In 2013, the family of current owners purchased and restored the beautiful historic home.

Notice the original front door with initials in the glass from the Klippels, large wraparound porch with two original stain glass windows and restored Doric columns. The porch also has the original blue bead board ceiling, railings, millwork and original wood windows.

Inside, this Queen Anne home has many original pocket doors, restored original wood fir floors throughout, marble fireplace in front parlor and original gold wallpaper in the two-story foyer.

Radiators were restored and are still in use. Home has two staircases, including original servants' stairs in back of the house under the large sleeping porch.

A large kitchen/ powder room/laundry room addition was added to the back of the home in 2014 followed by an oversized three car garage and finished 800 SF attic bonus room in 2016.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: circa 1905
Style/Design: Queen Anne Free Classic
This house was built circa 1905. The first owners were Frank J. and Bertha Klippel, and he was a painter at the American Car and Foundry Co. From 1916-1920 the home was owned by Mrs. Anne E. Thompson (widow of John L.), and she either subdivided it to create an apartment or created an apartment in an outbuilding. In 1916 the unit at 125A was occupied by J.E. Peterman, a veterinarian, and his wife Hattie May. From 1921-1956 the home w as owned by Henry I. Glosier, a livestock buyer, and his wife Anna D. The apartment was not occupied from 1921-1928, but from 1929-1956, there were 4 different tenants. In 1957 the house was purchased by Mrs. Velma M. Harrison (widow of Henry) and the apartment was occupied by Virginia F. Gauss. Mrs. Harrison owned the house through at least 1959, but by 1963 it had been purchased by John R. and Donna Wiley, and they were the sole occupants. He was a mechanical engineer at McDonnell Aircraft. They owned the house through 1970, when research ended. The historic name is given as the Klippel-Glosier House since the Klippels were the first owners and the Glosiers owned the house for more than 35 years.

"This 0.66-acre property is slightly elevated above the public sidewalk that spans the front. A concrete sidewalk with closed string stairway having 4 steps leads from the street to the gallery, which is lined with small shrubs. A landscape bed spans the north side of the house and the rear yard is shaded by mature trees. At the rear of the lot, along the alley, is a 1½-story, 3-car frame garage with side-gabled roof. Built in 2014, the garage has a concrete foundation, vinyl-clad walls and an asphalt roof. Two paneled and glazed overhead doors are on the west façade and two 1/1 double-hung vinyl windows with vinyl shutters are on the east elevation. On the south elevation is a 1/1 vinyl window and a man door and in the upper half story is a small 1/1 vinyl window . Since it w as built in 2014, the garage is noncontributing. The rear yard is partially enclosed by a combination wood picket fence and wood dog-eared privacy fence." ~ Lindenwood Historic Survey  PDF pages 115-119

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.