Clocher de l'église Saint-Martin - Baugy, Centre Val de Loire, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Blanko36
N 47° 04.875 E 002° 43.598
31T E 479248 N 5214229
[FR] Petit église du village de Baugy [EN] Small church in the village of Baugy
Waymark Code: WM18R57
Location: Centre-Val-de-Loire, France
Date Posted: 09/16/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 3

[FR] "Elle est placée sous le patronage du chapitre de Saint-Aoustrille du château de Bourges.

La nef date du 11e ou 12e siècle, en revanche le reste de l’église fut reconstruit au 15e siècle et notamment le portail ouest. A l’origine l’entrée se faisait au sud, on peut encore voir des traces d’une porte sur le mur extérieur. Le portail actuel est encadré de deux statues personnifiant la Foi et l’Espérance tandis que la scène de la charité occupe le tympan.

Le chœur de l’église fut probablement détruit pendant la guerre de 100 ans, lors de sa reconstruction, un transept, qui n’existait pas auparavant, fut ajouté. A noter que la chapelle sud, construite pour les seigneurs de Bar possède une cheminée comme c’est le cas dans le palais Jacques Cœur de Bourges dont Jean de Bar était un proche.

Le tympan du portail ouest de l’église de Baugy présente un bas-relief figurant une charité de saint Martin. Martin est à cheval, avec un casque de soldat, auréolé et est retourné, en train de couper son manteau. Sa main et son épée ont disparu. Le mendiant est derrière le cheval, à cloche-pied et se tient sur une canne. À l’arrière-plan, on distingue les remparts de la ville d’Amiens. Au dessus de la tête de Martin est écrit « MAJOR HORUM CHARITAS ». C’est une représentation du 19e siècle (1877) qui doit sans doute remplacer celle qui a été martelée pendant les guerres de Religion."

[EN] "It is under the patronage of the Saint-Aoustrille chapter of Bourges castle.

The nave dates from the 11th or 12th century, but the rest of the church was rebuilt in the 15th century, notably the west portal. The original entrance was to the south, and traces of a doorway can still be seen on the outer wall. The current portal is framed by two statues personifying Faith and Hope, while the tympanum features a scene of Charity.

The choir was probably destroyed during the 100 Years' War, and a transept was added when the church was rebuilt. The south chapel, built for the lords of Bar, has a fireplace, as does the Jacques Cœur palace in Bourges, of which Jean de Bar was a close relative.

The tympanum of the west portal of the Baugy church features a bas-relief depicting Saint Martin's charity. Martin is on horseback, wearing a soldier's helmet, haloed and turned around, cutting off his cloak. His hand and sword have disappeared. The beggar is behind the horse, hopping on a cane. The ramparts of Amiens can be seen in the background. Above Martin's head is written "MAJOR HORUM CHARITAS". This is a 19th-century depiction (1877), probably intended to replace the one hammered out during the Wars of Religion."

Source : (visit link)
Address of Tower:
18 Rue Saint-Martin,
Baugy, Centre France
18800


Still Operational: yes

Number of bells in tower?: 1

Rate tower:

Tours or visits allowed in tower?: No

Relevant website?: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please post an original picture of the tower taken while you were there. Please also record how you came to be at this tower and any other interesting information you learned about it while there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bell Towers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Blanko36 visited Clocher de l'église Saint-Martin - Baugy, Centre Val de Loire, France 09/27/2023 Blanko36 visited it