CNHS - Cathédrale-Catholique-Notre-Dame-de-Québec - Québec, Québec
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 46° 48.824 W 071° 12.362
19T E 331705 N 5186828
[FR] Cette plaque est située au 1, Côte de la Fabrique, à côté du jardin de la porte Sainte. [EN] This plaque is located at 1, Côte de la Fabrique, next to the Porte Sainte garden.
Waymark Code: WM18WZ6
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 10/13/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 11

La Plaque

"Étroitement associée à l’histoire de la Nouvelle-France, cette église bâtie en 1647 devient la première église paroissiale de la colonie en 1664, puis est érigée en cathédrale par Mgr de Laval en 1674. Elle est agrandie et modifiée par des générations d’architectes et d’artistes talentueux qui en font un modèle de décor intérieur et d’architecture religieuse au Québec. Détruite en 1759 lors du Siège de Québec et reconstruite sur ses murs en 1766-1771, elle est dotée de sa façade néoclassique en 1843-1844. Ravagée par le feu en 1922, elle est en grande partie restaurée, retrouvant l’apparence monumentale atteinte au XIXe siècle."

"La basilique-cathédrale Notre-Dame de Québec est l'église primatiale du Canada et le siège de l'archidiocèse de Québec. Elle est située dans l'arrondissement historique du Vieux-Québec à Québec, accolée au Séminaire de Québec, face à l’hôtel de ville de Québec et bordée par la rue De Buade. Elle a été classée monument historique en 1966.

Notre-Dame de Québec est le plus ancien siège diocésain en Amérique au nord du Mexique. C'est aussi l'église de la plus vieille paroisse d'Amérique du Nord. Elle est la première église à être élevée au rang de basilique mineure par le pape Pie IX le 28 août 1874.

C'est la deuxième église la plus vaste de Québec après l'église Saint-Roch, mais l'église Saint-Jean Baptiste et l'église des Saints-Martyrs Canadiens qui sont plus vastes que la basilique ont dû fermer leurs portes.

Histoire
17e - 19e siècles

La première construction à l'emplacement actuel de la cathédrale date de 1647 sous le nom d'église Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix, la première messe y est célébrée en 1650. En 1664 est érigée la paroisse Notre-Dame-de-l'Immaculée-Conception.

Après la création du diocèse de Québec (recouvrant alors toute la Nouvelle-France) en 1674, l'embellissement de l'église devenue cathédrale est effectuée selon les plans de l'architecte Claude Baillif (1635-1698) à l'époque de l'évêque François de Montmorency-Laval. Un nouvel agrandissement est ensuite effectué sous la direction de Gaspard-Joseph Chaussegros de Léry de 1744 à 1749.

La cathédrale est ensuite détruite deux fois. Elle est tout d'abord ravagée par le bombardement des Britanniques lors du siège de Québec de 1759 et est reconstruite à partir de 1766 selon les plans de Chaussegros de Léry tout en allongeant le sanctuaire. Le clocher, auquel s'ajoute un second lanternon, est reconstruit par Jean Baillairgé vers 1771. Jean et son fils François Baillairgé réalisent de 1787 à 1793 les éléments intérieurs: retables, baldaquin, statues et trône de l'évêque. Le maître-autel (1797) et le banc d'œuvre (1799) sont réalisés par François.

La façade principale est refaite en 1843-1844 sur des plans de l'architecte Thomas Baillairgé, fils de François, présentés dès 1829. De style néo-classique, elle est cependant restée inachevée ; des deux tours prévues, seule la tour nord est construite, mais amputée de son clocher en raison de la faiblesse des fondations. Une restauration majeure est réalisée de 1920 à 1922 par les architectes Georges-Émile Tanguay et Raoul Chênevert.

20 - 21e siècles
Cependant, le 22 décembre 1922 l’église est à nouveau dévastée par un incendie. Il ne subsiste que la maçonnerie. On débute la restauration et la construction de l’église actuelle dès 1923 à partir des plans originaux et de photographies anciennes, sous la direction de Chênevert et de l'architecte Maxime Roisin. Les travaux sont terminés en 1930. La crypte est réalisée en 1959 par l'architecte André Gilbert. Les sépultures de la plupart des évêques de Québec et de quatre gouverneurs de la Nouvelle-France y sont réunies.

La basilique-cathédrale est classée Monument historique le 23 juin 1966. Elle est désignée lieu historique national du Canada le 1er janvier 1989.

En 2014, ce lieu a reçu une Porte Sainte, la première à l'extérieur de l'Europe, en l'honneur du 350e anniversaire de la paroisse Notre-Dame de Québec.

L'intérieur ressemble à celui de la basilique Notre-Dame-des-Victoires de Paris. "

Sources : La Cathédrale

Photo goes Here

The Plate

"Closely associated with the history of New France, this church built in 1647 became the first parish church of the colony in 1664, then was erected as a cathedral by Bishop Laval in 1674. It was enlarged and modified by generations of talented architects and artists who make it a model of interior decor and religious architecture in Quebec. Destroyed in 1759 during the Siege of Quebec and rebuilt on its walls in 1766-1771, it was equipped with its neoclassical facade in 1843-1844. Ravaged by fire in 1922, it was largely restored, regaining the monumental appearance achieved in the 19th century."

"The Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica of Quebec is the primatial church of Canada and the seat of the Archdiocese of Quebec. It is located in the historic district of Old Quebec in Quebec, adjacent to the Seminary of Quebec, opposite Quebec City Hall and bordered by rue De Buade. It was classified as a historic monument in 1966.

Notre-Dame de Québec is the oldest diocesan seat in America north of Mexico. It is also the church of the oldest parish in North America. It was the first church to be elevated to the rank of minor basilica by Pope Pius IX on August 28, 1874.

It is the second largest church in Quebec after the Saint-Roch church, but the Saint-Jean Baptiste church and the church of the Saints-Martyrs Canadiens which are larger than the basilica had to close their doors.

History
17th - 19th centuries

The first construction on the current location of the cathedral dates from 1647 under the name of Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix church, the first mass was celebrated there in 1650. In 1664 the Notre-Dame-de parish was established -the Immaculate Conception.

After the creation of the diocese of Quebec (then covering all of New France) in 1674, the embellishment of the church which became a cathedral was carried out according to the plans of the architect Claude Baillif (1635-1698) at the time of the Bishop François de Montmorency-Laval. A further expansion was then carried out under the direction of Gaspard-Joseph Chaussegros de Léry from 1744 to 1749.

The cathedral was then destroyed twice. It was first ravaged by the bombardment of the British during the siege of Quebec in 1759 and was rebuilt from 1766 according to the plans of Chaussegros de Léry while extending the sanctuary. The bell tower, to which a second lantern was added, was rebuilt by Jean Baillairgé around 1771. Jean and his son François Baillairgé created the interior elements from 1787 to 1793: altarpieces, baldachin, statues and the bishop's throne. The main altar (1797) and the work bench (1799) were made by François.

The main facade was redone in 1843-1844 based on plans by the architect Thomas Baillairgé, son of François, presented in 1829. In neo-classical style, it however remained unfinished; of the two towers planned, only the north tower was built, but its bell tower was lost due to the weakness of the foundations. A major restoration was carried out from 1920 to 1922 by the architects Georges-Émile Tanguay and Raoul Chênevert.

20 - 21st centuries
However, on December 22, 1922 the church was again devastated by fire. Only the masonry remains. The restoration and construction of the current church began in 1923 based on original plans and old photographs, under the direction of Chênevert and the architect Maxime Roisin. The work was completed in 1930. The crypt was built in 1959 by the architect André Gilbert. The graves of most of the bishops of Quebec and four governors of New France are gathered there.

The cathedral basilica was classified as a Historic Monument on June 23, 1966. It was designated a national historic site of Canada on January 1, 1989.

In 2014, this place received a Holy Door, the first outside of Europe, in honor of the 350th anniversary of the Notre-Dame parish of Quebec.

The interior resembles that of the Notre-Dame-des-Victoires basilica in Paris."

Sources : The Cathedral

Classification: National Historic Site

Province or Territory: Quebec

Location - City name/Town name: 1, Côte de la Fabrique, Québec

Link to Parks Canada entry (must be on www.pc.gc.ca): [Web Link]

Link to HistoricPlaces.ca: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

As a suggestion for your visit log, please make every effort to supply a brief-to-detailed note about your experience at the Waymark. If possible also include an image that was taken when you visited the Waymark. Images can be of yourself, a personal Waymarking signature item or just one of general interest that would be of value to others. Sharing your experience helps promote Waymarking and provides a dynamic history of your adventures.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Canadian National Historic Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.