Arrow Rock
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 39° 04.211 W 092° 56.684
15S E 504780 N 4324566
Historical marker commemorating the important Santa Fe Trail town.
Waymark Code: WM1EA9
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 04/18/2007
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member GEO*Trailblazer 1
Views: 35

"At the Arrow Rock State Park entrance stands this pioneer town as a memorial to the Boon's Lick Country and the expanding frontier. In the 24-acre park are Arrow Rock Tavern, built by Joseph Huston, ca. 1834, for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail, restored and operated as a museum an Inn by the State Society of D.A.R. and State of Missouri; Arrow Rock Academy museum, a former girls' school, charted 1843; "a one-man" jail; the state-restored George C. Bingham House; and other sites.
Southwest of town are Sappington and Arrow Rock cemeteries; Sappington and Marmaduke house; Nathaniel B. Tucker home, "Ardmore"; Site of Thomas A. Smith's prairie farm, "Experiment." Some 12 miles southeast is grave of fur trader William H. Ashley, Missouri's first lieutenant governor. Across the rier is Boon's Link, where Daniel Boones' sons boiled salt probably as early as 1807.
Near town lived D. John Sappington, noted for his "Anti-Fever (quinie) Pills," auther first medical book west of Mississippi, founder of Sappington School Fund; and Governors M.M. and John S. Marmaduke and C.F. Jackson.
This ancient Site was noted by explores and travelers. The Frenchman D'anville marked Pierre a Fleche (Fr. Arrow Rock) on his map of the Missouri River, 1755; the Lewis and Clark Expedition noted the site, 1804; and S.H. Long of the Yellowstone Expedition, 1819, said that it got its name from the Indians' using the outcropping flint to point their arrows.
A blockhouse, which also served as an Indian trading post, was built and operated here, 1813-1814, by George C. Sibley, trading agent from Fort Osage (Missouri). Also in the area were Cox's Fort. McMahan's Fort, and across the river Cooper's Fort-family defenses in the War of 1812.
In 1821 William Becknell crossed the river here, at what became Santa Fe Crossing, on the first successful trading expedition to Santa Fe.
Laid out as new Philadelphia in 1829, and later renamed Arrow Rock, the town served as seat of Saline County for one year, 1839. During the Civil War a part of the town was burned." ~ text of marker
History of Mark:
Erected by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission, 1953. The Park, now called Arrow Rock State Historic Site, is overseen by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.

Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
iconions visited Arrow Rock 04/21/2013 iconions visited it
r8ce2win visited Arrow Rock 06/05/2012 r8ce2win visited it
betaylor73 visited Arrow Rock 04/18/2009 betaylor73 visited it

View all visits/logs