The Plank Road - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 46.434 W 090° 29.331
15S E 718150 N 4294681
9 mile road built of wood, like an old western sidewalk.
Waymark Code: WM3MY2
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 04/22/2008
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member lilluckyclover
Views: 21

Marker Erected by: South Main Preservation Society of St. Charles.
County of Marker: Saint Charles County.
Location of Marker: 4th St. & Boone's Lick Rd., St. Charles.

Marker Text:

The Plank Road
Chartered February 27, 1851
The beginning point of the "Western Plank Road", a toll road of two bits (25 cents) per person, extended nine miles to Cottleville, connecting with Boone's Lick Road. Stagecoaches left from St. Charles here at the Boone's Lick Trading Post circa 1854. The coaches traveled first weekly, then daily, to old Franklin (washed away by the Missouri River) and to Fort Osage, 275 miles from St. Louis. The plank road lasted only 13 years and became impossible to maintain due to rot, warp-age and thieves, who used the planks for firewood and barn building.

The Boone's Lick Trading Post mentioned in the marker has some history:

This building [photo in Gallery] was the famous Boone's Lick Trading Post. It was built in 1854 by William Hall and the trading post was operated by him. Little money was used and since they specialized in wild meat, (deer, bear, etc) and eggs, these were traded for goods and trinkets from travelers. The post was known for its splendid drinking water, which came from a spring running into the Blanchette Creek, which runs next to the building. A large log filled with flowing water was in the rear in a beautiful grove, so horses could rest and be watered. Originally the post was only two rooms. The iron racks on which meat was hung are still in the basement.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
The Boone’s Lick Trading Post was built in 1854 by William Hall and this establishment was run by him. Originally it had two rooms, and the Post specialized in deer meat and other wild game. It was known for its splendid drinking water its source coming from a Spring. A large log filled with flowing water made this inn popular as the stock could be watered and rested at the rear of the inn where there was a beautiful grove. The old “Plank Road” extended past this Post to the town of Cottleville. This building belonged to Mrs. Joe Lemmon Clanton until 1965." ~ Historical St. Charles

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
petendot visited The Plank Road - St. Charles, MO 07/11/2014 petendot visited it
BruceS visited The Plank Road - St. Charles, MO 03/23/2010 BruceS visited it
YoSam. visited The Plank Road - St. Charles, MO 05/24/2006 YoSam. visited it

View all visits/logs