Potosi - Potosi, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member gparkes
N 37° 56.172 W 090° 47.281
15S E 694385 N 4201043
Quick Description: This historical marker talks about the town and surrounding Washington County.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 10/4/2009 5:22:07 PM
Waymark Code: WM7CCZ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member GEO*Trailblazer 1
Views: 11

Long Description:
Marker Erected by: State of Missouri Historical Society and Missouri Highway Department
Date Marker Erected: 1955
County of Marker: Washington County
Location of Marker: Parking lot off Highway 8, west of intersection with Highway 21 just west of Potosi, Missouri

Marker Text:

Potosi

Early mining center, named for the famous South American silver mine, Potosi was established by Moses Austin as the seat of Washington County, organized, 1813. Austin came here, 1797, after receiving a 3 square mile Spanish land grant, including Mine a Breton lead diggings opened about 1773 by Francois Azor, nicknamed Breton.

Under Moses Austin (1761-1821) lead, which brought Missouri’s first settlers, became the base of its first major industry. Here he sank the first mine shaft in Missouri and built the first reverberatory furnace west of the Mississippi. He founded Herculaneum, to the east, as a lead depot. Austin died soon after the Spanish governor of Texas had granted his petition to settle 300 American families there. His son, Stephen, carried out the colonizing venture. In the Presbyterian Cemetery here, under a concrete vault, lie Moses and his wife, Maria Brown Austin.

Here Stephen Austin, “Father of Texas,” spent his boyhood, and here lived John Rice Jones, State Supreme Court judge, 1820-24, and Daniel Dunklin, governor, 1832-36. Potosi had the second academy in Missouri, 1817.

Center for one of the largest barite or “tiff” mining areas in the U.S., Potosi serves a mining, farming, and lumbering county.1 In 1819, explorer Henry R. Schoolcraft listed 28 mines in the county where French gold and silver seekers early discovered lead. In the Indian Creek area, ore is now mined.

Northward, is Old Mines, a French village reminiscent of Missouri’s colonial days. The first mine was opened there, 1726, by Philip Renault. In the area are Cannon’s Mines with its primitive furnace and Shibboleth Mine opened by John Smith T., speculator from Tennessee. An early iron works, Springfield Iron Furnace, opened near Potosi, 1823.

The first Presbyterian Church west of the Mississippi was organized, 1816, in Bellevue Valley to the south, first settled by Scotch-Irish pioneers from North Carolina, 1807. In this valley passed the Cherokee Indian “Trail of Tears” to Oklahoma, 1837. In Caledonia, platted, 1816, the Bellevue (Methodist) Collegiate Institute opened, 1867. Near town is historic Bellevue Presbyterian Cemetery. Washington State Park, with its Indian petroglyphs, is on Big River. At Irondale is a Boy Scout Camp.


Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:

Corrections and updates:
1. By the mid-1990s, only one barite mining company, Baroid Drilling Fluids, Inc., existed in the county.

Built in 1799, Durham Hall, Moses Austin's home near Potosi, was destroyed by fire in 1872.



Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.