Boone's Lick Road - Millersburg, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 53.925 W 092° 07.406
15S E 576012 N 4305905
Quick Description: Last town in Callaway County heading west.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 5/4/2010 1:48:43 PM
Waymark Code: WM8QVW
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member gparkes
Views: 8

Long Description:

Marker Erected by: Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Missouri
Date Marker Erected:October 23, 1913
County of Marker: Callaway County
Location of Marker: MO-J, S. city limits, Millersburg

Marker Text:

BOONE'S LICK ROAD
Millersburg-1829.
Marked by the
Daughters of the
American Revolution
and the
State of Missouri
1913

"Millersburg was laid out in October, 1829, by Thomas Miller. It is twelve miles west of Fulton. Christian and Baptist societies and a public school are here. The population is 200. Hogs, sheep, cattle and mules are the principal exports. David A. Robnett is postmaster. The business directory is as follows: John Bush, shoemaker; J. C. Hulen, physician; Alonzo Miller, blacksmith; Mrs. Mary Porni, general store, East side of the road; D. A. Robnett, general store, West side of the road; W.S. Price, Justice of the Peace and County Court, J.G. Sexton, general store, West side of the road; M. P. Sexton, physician; A. W. Smirl, saw mill."

There are also recordings of other businesses: a cooper's shop, a saloon, a harness shop, a grist and saw mill, a small factory that carded wool, dress-makers--Pearl Carr and Ella Barnes, and a mortuary complete with hearse and a fine team.

Communication has always been of supreme importance to a community, and, in this respect, Millersburg was fortunate. Since the town was located on the Boone's Lick Trail and was served by a a stagecoach and freight line, the delivery of mail was frequent and began early. Millersburg had a post office in 1832, the first postmaster being Archibald Reed from November 2, 1832 to October 7, 1834. The first official name was Millersburgh. The "h" was dropped in 1862.

In 1884, Millersburg was getting mail three times a week from Fulton, probably by stage service. By 1904, there was a daily mail supply, a locked pouch service from the Fulton post office by R.F.D. carrier. This service was continued until 1953 when the fourth class post offices were discontinued. In 1907, the carrier from the Millersburg office to box holders was W. D. Kennett, followed by Ray Kennett in 1908. He was the mail carrier for fifty-five years. Mary Allison Walker, a pretty, neat, petite lady was a hard-working, efficient postmistress for nearly fifty years. Millersburg box holders now get their mail from Fulton Route 5. The postmasters in Millersburg from 1884 were: David A. Robnett, 1884; Jesse Sexton, 1890; W. E. Weir, 1893; Joel Adcock, 1895; Elmer L. Koontz, 1897; George Selby, 1900; James H. Smith, 1900; Mary Allison Walker, 1900; Bertha Hubbard, 1947-1953. (This excellent material on post offices was given to me by Bill Hamilton.)

You can finish the Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society information in this town by going to the web link below.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
Callaway County is named after Captain James Callaway, grandson of Daniel Boone. He was a Captain in the Missouri Rangers, under the command of Major Nathan Boone, his uncle, and, yes, Daniel Boone's son. James Callaway was killed during the War of 1812,


Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Arthur & Trillian visited Boone's Lick Road - Millersburg, MO 10/9/2016 Arthur & Trillian visited it