State Dispensary Warehouse (40-131)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ChapterhouseInc
N 33° 59.937 W 081° 02.615
17S E 495975 N 3762040
Quick Description: One of several post civil War State buildings in Columbia.
Location: South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 8/12/2010 1:31:27 PM
Waymark Code: WM9F7C
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Lat34North
Views: 5

Long Description:
This building, built in 1863-64 and burned by Federal troops in 1865, was rebuilt as a two-story building in 1872. A cotton batting factory and warehouse, it burned again in 1897, leaving only the outer walls. In 1898 the SC state Dispensary created by Gov Benjamin R Tillman to ensure state control over the production and sale of alcohol, rebuilt it to serve as the State Dispensary Warehouse.

Though the State Dispensary system generated impressive revenue, it also allowed corruption and violence to flourish, and was finally abolished in 1907. Vacant from 1907 until th 1920s, this building served as a warehouse for a succession of businesses for the next fifty years. It was vacant again from the late 1970s until 2004, when it was rehabilitated for a neighborhood grocery store.

Erected by Holmes Smith Developments, 2005
Marker Name: State Dispensary Warehouse

Marker Location: City

Type of Marker: Building

Marker number: 40-131

County: Richland

Visit Instructions:
A picture of the marker taken by you or specific details of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest South Carolina Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
BIO-HAZRD visited State Dispensary Warehouse (40-131) 6/19/2015 BIO-HAZRD visited it
ChapterhouseInc visited State Dispensary Warehouse (40-131) 7/30/2010 ChapterhouseInc visited it

View all visits/logs