Centerfield - 428
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Chasing Blue Sky
N 39° 07.308 W 111° 49.170
12S E 429159 N 4330612
Quick Description: Daughters of Utah Pioneers market - Centerfield - in Centerfield, Utah.
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 5/9/2011 3:46:11 PM
Waymark Code: WMBDGX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member JacobBarlow
Views: 6

Long Description:
Centerfield

Gunnison settlers began farming the land to the south in the early 1860's, each claiming his acreage under "Squatter's Rights" and later paying a filing fee of $1.25. Water was obtained from the Sanpitch River and fresh mountain springs. By 1877 Michael Nielsen, Chris Sanders, and William D. Child had constructed homes and others soon followed. School was first taught by Marie Gribble in her home. Joseph Christensen later taught the first public school and Harriet Higham served as the area midwife. Primary and Sunday School branches of the Gunnison L.D.S. Ward were formed in 1882. The Centerfield Ward was organized in 1897 wit Andrew Fjeldsted as bishop. The town name was chosen at that time due to its central location in a fertile field. A post office was established in 1898 with Loraine Anderson as post mistress. Centerfield was incorporated in 1909 with Lars C. Myrup serving as town president.

No. 428 1984 Centerfield Camp
Marker Name: Centerfield

Marker Number: 428

Marker Text:
Centerfield Gunnison settlers began farming the land to the south in the early 1860's, each claiming his acreage under "Squatter's Rights" and later paying a filing fee of $1.25. Water was obtained from the Sanpitch River and fresh mountain springs. By 1877 Michael Nielsen, Chris Sanders, and William D. Child had constructed homes and others soon followed. School was first taught by Marie Gribble in her home. Joseph Christensen later taught the first public school and Harriet Higham served as the area midwife. Primary and Sunday School branches of the Gunnison L.D.S. Ward were formed in 1882. The Centerfield Ward was organized in 1897 wit Andrew Fjeldsted as bishop. The town name was chosen at that time due to its central location in a fertile field. A post office was established in 1898 with Loraine Anderson as post mistress. Centerfield was incorporated in 1909 with Lars C. Myrup serving as town president. No. 428 1984 Centerfield Camp


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Chasing Blue Sky visited Centerfield - 428 4/25/2011 Chasing Blue Sky visited it