Taft Historic District Entrance Arch - Lincoln City, OR
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member silverquill
N 44° 55.677 W 124° 00.968
10T E 419813 N 4975448
The town of Taft, Oregon, was established in 1906 and was a thriving resort town for many years. In 1965 it jointly merged with four other small communities under the current name of Lincoln City. This historic district is still an attraction.
Waymark Code: WMCX6F
Location: Oregon, United States
Date Posted: 10/22/2011
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 7



Taft was the largest and most developed of the small communities around Siletz Bay. All of them derived a great deal of their prosperity from tourism, as does the present combined Lincoln City. The competition among the town created some truly spectacular events. Taft was best known for its elaborate Fourth of July festivities and a unique "Redhead Roundup" beauty pageant. Many cottage types of accommodations were built and have been preserved here in this historic district, located between U.S. 101 and the beach.

This wrought iron arch has a sculpture of a crab at its apex large letters TAFT above it. On either side are the words, HISTORIC DISTRICT. It stands at the entrance to the area, with several interpretive signs beside it.


Classic Cottages 1930

The auto age of the 1920's and 30's brought with it the need for modern
accommodations for vacationers. The Craddock Cottages are great examples of
Oregon Coast cottage units. Built by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Craddock in 1930, these cot-
tages were originally planned as individual units but were completed as duplexes with
connecting garages. The cottages are still standing and located at 1123 S.W. 51st
Street

1924

Grand View was the first town site approved in North Lincoln County. It was approved
in 1909 and consisted of a store and a few houses, several of which are still standing.
One of those original houses, the DeJardin House, was moved across the creek in
1924 and place on its current site at 1251 S.W. 51st Street. Some minor modifica-
tions were made, but the two-story home with hipped roof still looks much like the
original. The DeJardin House was built in 1942-13 for Mary Predencia Sax (great-
grandmother of Eleanor Kramer owner of Eleanor's Undertow in Taft).


1932

Beach Parties

The Fourth of July was the big social event of the year for the pioneers.
From early 1900s locals and visitors crowded the beach to enjoy picnics, special
programs, dances and fireworks. At one time Taft's waterfront had a meery-go-round,
designed by Henry Curl, pulled by horse power and accompanied by Andrew
Immonen's fiddle music. To this day the Fourth of July fireworks bring thousands of
visitors to Taft.

The first annual Redhead Roundup, originated by Taft Resident Manville Robison
(a redhead himself), was held on August 23, 1931 and lasted into the 1940s. the beauty
pageant culminated each year in the crowning of a Redhead Queen and King Eric the
Red. Decked out with banners and posters. Taft was a festive scene, its hotels and
rental cottages full, its streets lined with cars and busloads of people from near
and far.

John W. Bones was the first postmaster for the town of Taft in 1906 and originally proposed the name Siletz Bay, but this was rejected because an nearby town already was incorporated as Siletz. He then propose the name Taft in honor of then U.S. Secretary of War, William Howard Taft, who became the 27th President of the United States three years later.

Taft held a number of positions during his career after graduating from Yale University, then Cincinnati Law School, including Governor General of the Philippines and Secretary of War. After his single term as president, Taft was appointed Supreme Court Justice by President Harding, making Taft the only president ever so to serve.

Type: Gateway

Subtype: Municipal/Regional Entrance

Location: Taft Historic District entrance - Lincoln City, Oregon

Visit Instructions:
To help give a different perspective and to better this waymark listing for future visitors please tell us about your visit and upload a favorite photograph you took of the arch. Although visiting this waymark in person is the only thing required of you to receive credit for your visit, taking the time to add this information is greatly appreciated.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Freestanding Arches
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
new1* visited Taft Historic District Entrance Arch - Lincoln City, OR 09/07/2013 new1* visited it
Queens Blessing visited Taft Historic District Entrance Arch - Lincoln City, OR 06/01/2013 Queens Blessing visited it
Volcanoguy visited Taft Historic District Entrance Arch - Lincoln City, OR 05/16/2013 Volcanoguy visited it
Vagabonds198 visited Taft Historic District Entrance Arch - Lincoln City, OR 04/07/2012 Vagabonds198 visited it
valsetzpegleg visited Taft Historic District Entrance Arch - Lincoln City, OR 02/23/2012 valsetzpegleg visited it

View all visits/logs