Arlesheimer Dom - Arlesheim, BL, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 29.529 E 007° 37.235
32T E 396096 N 5260779
Quick Description: The cathedral (Dom) of Arlesheim, the seat of the chapter of Basel from 1679 to 1792.
Location: Basel Landschaft, Switzerland
Date Posted: 5/23/2012 7:27:44 AM
Waymark Code: WMEFPB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member luzzi-reloaded
Views: 11

Long Description:
EN: "The Cathedral of Arlesheimer is located in the center of Arlesheim in the Swiss canton Baselland and was consecrates 1681. The Church and the canons residences at the Cathedral Square were the seat of the cathedral chapter of the diocese of Basel from 1679 to 1792. The cathedral became a landmark of Arlesheim. The organ by Johann Andreas Silbermann of the year 1761 is also famous.

Displaced by the Reformation in 1529, the bishop of the diocese of Basel fled initially to Altkirch and later Pruntrut, while the chapter was granted asylum in Freiburg. The bishop and the chapter decided in 1679 to build a new residence in Arlesheim. In Pruntrut, the seat of the prince-bishop, the chapter could not be installed because it beloged to the Archdiocese of Besançon and not to the diocese of Basel. Arlesheim, in contrast, was not only in the diocese, but also in the vicinity of Alsace, from where the chapter received most of the income.

1792, during the French Revolution, the archbishop fled into exile in Konstanz. In 1793, the last canons left Arlesheim and Freiburg im Breisgau became again the official residence of the chapter. The cathedral, the canons residences and chattels were sold out and many were lost, including the church treasure, a few bells and the ornate wrought-iron choir screen. The cathedral has then been used as a storage room and even a horse stable, before it became the parish church of Arlesheim in 1812.

The cathedral was built in 1679-1681 after plans by Franz Demess, while the Misox architect Jakob Engel (1631-1714) and his brother Karl were responsible for the canons residences. On 26 October 1681 was the solemn consecration of the cathedral was held, and in July 1682 the bells were raised.

The baroque construction was very simple and strict. The main room was accompanied by chapels such as today, and the walls were livened by low galleries, as they are found in Jesuit churches. The nave was closed with a unbroken wide apse rounding. Stucco and heavy wreaths on the ceiling softened the austerity of the room.

The cathedral has two steeples, which are topped by a knob and a cross each. The masonry has a yellowish color, framed with a white, the spire has a light green roof. In a niche above the entrance door there is a light wooden statue of Mary with Child and the crosier (the coat of arms of the chapter).

The rapid construction in 1680 caused some serious problems that soon came to light, and only 80 years later a extensive restoration became necessary in 1759. The cathedral was changed largely in rococo style in the interior and outside.

The architect was Franz Anton Bagnato (1732-1810). Francesco Pozzi (1700-1784) was in charge for the stuccos and the high altar. The ceiling frescoes and the altarpiece were executed in fresco by Giuseppe Appiani. The carpentry work, as the main entrance, the side doors with its carvings and the choir stalls were made by Peter Schacherer from Rheinfelden in 1761.

During the reconstruction the cathedral was extended and the side entrances placed closer to the choir, the interior has been slightly reorganized, the small galleries removed, and a crypt was added below the chancel floor. Even the exterior of the church was redesigned, the facade was changed by a slight strengthening of the vertical elements and additional embellishments on the windows." (translated from German Wikipedia)

DE: "Der Arlesheimer Dom steht in der basellandschaftlichen Gemeinde Arlesheim in der Schweiz und wurde 1681 geweiht. Die Kirche und die Domherrenhäuser am Domplatz waren von 1679 bis 1792 Sitz des Domkapitels des Bistums Basel. Der Dom ist zum Wahrzeichen von Arlesheim geworden. Berühmt ist auch die Orgel von Johann Andreas Silbermann aus dem Jahr 1761.

Von der Reformation vertrieben, flüchtete der Bischof des Fürstbistums Basel 1529 zunächst nach Altkirch, dann nach Pruntrut, wohingegen das Domkapitel fürs Erste in Freiburg im Breisgau Aufnahme fand. 1679 beschlossen Bischof und Kapitel, eine neue Residenz in Arlesheim zu errichten. Nach Pruntrut, zum Sitz des Fürstbischofs, konnte das Kapitel nicht verlegt werden, weil es kirchlich zur Erzdiözese Besançon und nicht zum Bistum Basel gehörte. Arlesheim dagegen lag nicht nur im Bistum, sondern auch in der Nähe des Elsasses, von woher das Kapitel die meisten Einkünfte bezog.

1792, im Laufe der Französischen Revolution, floh der Fürstbischof ins Exil nach Konstanz. 1793 verliessen die letzten Domherren Arlesheim und Freiburg im Breisgau wurde wieder offizieller Sitz des Domkapitels. Der Dom, die Domherrenhäuser und die Fahrhabe wurden darauf versteigert und vieles ging verloren, u.a. der Kirchenschatz, einige Glocken und das kunstvolle schmiedeeiserne Chorgitter. Der Dom wurde zwischenzeitlich als Abstellraum und gar als Pferdestall benutzt, und seit 1812 ist er die Pfarrkirche der Gemeinde Arlesheim.

Der Dom wurde 1679–1681 nach Plänen von Franz Demess gebaut, während für die Domherrenhäuser der Misoxer Baumeister Jakob Engel (1631–1714) und dessen Bruder Karl verantwortlich zeichneten. Am 26. Oktober 1681 konnte die feierliche Weihe des Domes vollzogen werden, und im Juli 1682 wurden die Glocken aufgezogen.

Der barocke Bau war sehr einfach und streng. Der Einheitsraum war wie heute von Kapellen begleitet, und die Wände waren durch niedrige Emporen, wie man sie in Jesuitenkirchen antrifft, belebt. Das Mittelschiff schloss mit einer unabgesetzten, weiten Apsisrundung ab. Stuckaturen und schwere Kränze an der Decke milderten die Nüchternheit dieses Raumes.

Die Domkirche hat zwei Kirchtürme, welche von je einem Knauf und einem Kreuz abgeschlossen werden. Das Mauerwerk hat eine gelbliche Farbe, umrahmt von weissen Rahmen; der Turm wird durch ein hellgrünes Dach abgeschlossen. In einer Nische über der Eingangstür aus hellem Holz befindet sich Maria mit Kind und Baselstab als Statue, welches das Wappen des Domstiftes ist.

Die schnelle Bauweise um 1680 liess bald schwere Schäden zu Tage treten, und 1759 wurde nach nur 80 Jahren eine umfassende Restaurierung nötig. Der Dom erhielt ein Rokoko-Aussehen und wurde innen und aussen erneuert und weitgehend verändert.

Der Architekt war Franz Anton Bagnato (1732–1810). Für die Ausführung der Stuckarbeiten und den Hochaltar war Francesco Pozzi (1700–1784) zuständig. Die Deckengemälde und das Altarbild in Fresko wurden durch Giuseppe Appiani ausgeführt. Die Schreinerarbeiten wie das Hauptportal, die Seitentüren mit ihren Schnitzereien und das Chorgestühl wurden von Peter Schacherer aus Rheinfelden 1761 ausgeführt.

Beim Umbau wurde der Dom verlängert und die Seiteneingänge weiter gegen den Chor verlegt, der Innenraum wurde leicht umgestaltet, die kleinen Emporen entfernt, und der Dom erhielt eine Gruft unter dem Chorboden. Auch das Äussere der Kirche wurde überarbeitet, die Fassade durch eine Verstärkung der vertikalen Elemente leichter gestaltet und durch zusätzliche Schnörkel an den Fenstern verschönert." (Wikipedia)
Country/Land: Switzerland / Schweiz

Original Reference: Basel-Landschaft, A-Objekte, Seite 81 (1)

Address:
Domplatz 16 4144 Arlesheim


Year built: 1679-1681

URL reference: [Web Link]

Additional URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[English] To log a visit, please post a photo of the location you took yourself. You do not have to be in the picture. Please do NOT post pictures of your GPSr! Tell us about your visit. If you cannot provide a photo your visit will still be welcome, but then tell us a bit more, please.

[Deutsch] Bitte postet ein Foto, das ihr selbst gemacht habt. Bilder von Euch selbst sind nicht erforderlich, Bilder von Eurem GPS-Gerät möchten wir gar nicht sehen. Erzählt uns etwas von eurem Besuch. Falls Ihr kein Foto habt, könnt ich trotzdem einen Besuch loggen, aber dann möchten wir bitte ein bisschen mehr Text sehen.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Austrian and Swiss National Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Jan_Peter visited Arlesheimer Dom - Arlesheim, BL, Switzerland 1/1/2016 Jan_Peter visited it