Blarerschloss - Aesch, BL, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 27.948 E 007° 35.942
32T E 394420 N 5257880
Quick Description: A castle in Aesch, today it is the town hall.
Location: Basel Landschaft, Switzerland
Date Posted: 6/6/2012 11:38:01 PM
Waymark Code: WMEK13
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member luzzi-reloaded
Views: 7

Long Description:
EN: "Aesch Castle or Blarer Castle (German: Schloss Aesch) is a castle in the Swiss municipality of Aesch in the canton of Basel-Country.

Aesch Castle is about 500 meters (1,600 ft) northwest of the gorge and Angenstein Castle and 1,500 meters (4,900 ft) north-northeast of the ruins of Pfeffingen Castle on the edge of the core of Aesch village.

The castle was built in 1605/06 by the Blarer of Wartensee family. This family was originally from St. Gallen and had become wealthy from the linen trade. One line of the family settled in Wartensee Castle at Rorschach, hence the name of this line. With the election of Jacob Christoph Blarer of Wartensee in 1575 to the canons of the cathedral of Basel the family gained interests in the Basel region. Jacob Christoph Blarer was also one of the main leaders of the Counter-Reformation in Birseck.

The Blarers began to expand their power in the Basel region when Jacob Christoph Blarer appointed his brother Wolfgang Dietrich Blarer to the upper Vogt of Pfeffingen in 1583. This position gave the family a steady source of income from tithes, taxes and interest. Many other privileges, for example a charter granted by Jacob Christoph Blarer in 1604, led to a steady growth of wealth of the Blarer family. In the years before his death in 1608, he tasked his nephew Wilhelm Blarer, to consolidate the family's position and power by building a castle at Aesch. In 1607, the castle grounds and surrounding property were given to Wilhelm by Jacob Christoph. At the same time, Jacob Christoph as the Bishop of Basel freed Wilhelm from all offerings.

By 1702, the Prince-Bishop allowed the Vogt Johann Konrad Blarer to live in the castle at Aesch rather than in Pfeffingen, but his clerk had to stay in Pfeffingen Castle. As the castle at Pfeffingen lacked the comfort and prestige that the family desired for a family seat, in 1740 the Blarers moved their center of power into Aesch.

During the Thirty Years' War the castle was damaged, but was rebuilt immediately. At the time of the French Revolution a hospital was set up in the castle.

Finally, in 1851 the castle was bought from the family by the municipality of Aesch and rebuilt. Two classrooms and two teachers' houses were added. It was renovated in 1900 by Rudolf Sandreuter, who moved the main entrance to the village side and added gothic revival and an additional half-round tower. Starting in 1909 it was used as a school and community center. Since the renovation of 1958/59, which restored its original condition, the municipal administration has occupied the castle.

Originally, on the site of the castle there was a hostel. The castle was designed from the beginning as a representative, multi-story mansion. Therefore, little value was placed on the defensive capability of the structure. The nearby Pfeffingen Castle provided the family with a defensive fortress, and the power of gunpowder weapons at the time meant that castles were no longer effective as fortresses.

The main building has a basement with a vaulted cellar. On the north and west of the palace buildings there were several support buildings including a wine-press and stables, some of which are still in existence today. The builder is not known with certainty, but it could be, according to surviving receipts, be Michael Brauwn or Braun.

Baroque extensions to the castle took place in 1730 and 1740 and at this time the French garden was added. The wall around the whole complex was decorated with several turrets and bartizans while lattice doors ensured accessibility to the grounds.

Most of the current castle exterior dates back to the state after the great expansion in the 18th Century. However, the perimeter wall has been significantly adjusted and some portions have been totally demolished. Due to the many different functions that the castle has served, the interiors have been changed significantly.

The park is easily accessible to the public and the castle can be visited whenever the local government offices are open. The vaulted cellar is now expanded and used for special events and can be rented from the local authority. In the west, a former outbuilding now houses the local museum of Aesch." (Wikipedia)

DE: "Das Schloss Aesch mit seinem Schlosspark und festlichen Gewölbekeller befindet sich in der schweizerischen Gemeinde Aesch im Birseck.

Das Schloss Aesch liegt 500 Meter nordwestlich der Klus und des Schlosses Angenstein und 1500 Meter nordnordöstlich der Ruine Pfeffingen am Rande des Kernes des Dorfes Aesch im Kanton Basel-Landschaft.

Erbaut wurde das Schloss 1605/06 von der Familie 'Blarer von Wartensee'. Diese Familie stammte ursprünglich aus St. Gallen und war durch Leinenhandel zu Reichtum gelangt. Ein Teil liess sich auf dem Schloss Wartensee bei Rorschach nieder, deshalb der Name dieses Zweiges. Mit der Wahl des Jakob Christoph Blarer von Wartensee 1575 zum Domherren des Domstiftes in Basel erweiterten sich die Interessen der weiteren Blarerschen Familie auch in die Region Basel: J. C. Blarer war einer der wesentlichen Träger der Gegenreformation im Birseck.

Im Rahmen des Blarerschen Machtausbaues in der Region Basel ernannte J. C. Blarer 1583 seinen Bruder Wolfgang Dietrich Blarer zum Obervogt in Pfeffingen, um das Einkommen (Zehnten, Zinsen etc.) sicherzustellen. Viele weitere Privilegien -- z.B. den Freibrief von J. C. Blarer von 1604 -- führten auch weiterhin zu einem ständigen Wachstum des Reichtums der Familie Blarer. Weiter beauftragte er gegen sein Lebensende (1608) seinen Neffen Wilhelm Blarer, zur Festigung und Demonstration der erreichten Stellung der Familie, das Schloss Aesch zu errichten. Das ganze Schloss mit zugehörigen Gütern wurde ihm dann 1607 von J. C. Blarer geschenkt; Weiter wurde er durch seinen bischöflichen Onkel auch von allen Abgaben befreit.

Bereits 1702 erlaubte der Fürstbischof dem damaligen Obervogt Johann Konrad Blarer im Schloss Aesch anstatt auf Pfeffingen zu wohnen: Der Amtsschreiber musste aber im Schloss Pfeffingen ausharren. Als das Schloss Pfeffingen weder von seiner baulichen Substanz noch von seiner Prestigefunktion her noch als sinnvoller Sitz für die Blarersche Sippe erachtet wurde, verlegte die Familie Blarer 1740 ihr Herrschaftszentrum dann ganz in das Schloss Aesch.

Während des Dreissigjährigen Krieges nahm das Schloss Schaden, wurde aber umgehend wieder aufgebaut. Zur Zeit der Revolution war darin ein Spital eingerichtet.

Schlussendlich wurde das Schloss 1851 durch die Gemeinde Aesch von der Familie Blarer ersteigert und umgebaut (Einbau von zwei Schulzimmern und zwei Lehrerwohnungen), 1900 renoviert (Rudolf Sandreuter, Haupteingang zur Dorfseite verlegt, spätgotische Fenster, zusätzlicher Halbrundturm) und ab 1909 als Schul- und Gemeindehaus genutzt. Seit der Renovation von 1958/59 (Herstellung des ursprünglichen Zustandes) ist die Gemeindeverwaltung darin tätig.

Auf dem Platz des Schlosses Aesch stand ursprünglich eine Herberge. Das Schloss wurde von Anfang an als repräsentatives, mehrstöckiges Herrschaftshaus errichtet. Dabei wurde wenig Wert auf die Wehrhaftigkeit der Anlage gelegt: Einerseits erbrachte das nahegelegene Schloss Pfeffingen der Familie diese Funktion -- soweit überhaupt noch benötigt -- und andererseits waren die Pulvergeschütze zu dem Zeitpunkt schon so weit entwickelt, dass burgartige Anlagen nicht mehr wirkungsvoll waren. Der Hauptbau wurde mit einem Gewölbekeller unterkellert. An der Nord- und Westseite des Schlosses wurden mehrere Ökonomiebauten errichtet (Weinbau, Stallungen), die teilweise noch heute vorhanden sind. Der Baumeister ist nicht mit Sicherheit bekannt, aber es könnte sich -- gemäss noch existierenden Quittungen -- um Michael Brauwn (heute: Braun) handeln.

Barocke Erweiterungen des Schlosses fanden 1730 und 1740 statt und dabei wurde auch der französische Garten erstellt. Die Mauer um die ganze Anlage wurde mit mehreren Türmchen und Pfefferbüchsen verziert und die Zugänglichkeit mit Gittertoren sichergestellt.
Nordöstlicher Treppenturm (2009)

Das Schloss zeigt heute in seinen groben baulichen Teilen wieder weitgehend den Zustand nach den grossen Erweiterungen im 18. Jhdt. Allerdings wurde die Umfassungsmauer der Umgebung angepasst (zum Beispiel östlicher Zugang vom Gittertor in den nordöstlichen Turm verlegt, Mauer und Türme zum Teil niedergelegt). Auf Grund der geänderten Nutzung sind allerdings die Inneneinrichtungen stark verändert worden.

Der Park ist für das Publikum frei zugänglich und das Schloss gemäss den Öffnungszeiten der Gemeindeverwaltung. Der Gewölbekeller ist heute für festliche Anlässe ausgebaut und kann bei der Gemeindeverwaltung gemietet werden. In den westlichen, ehemaligen Ökonomiebauten befindet sich heute auch das Heimatmuseum Aesch." (Wikipedia)
Country/Land: Switzerland / Schweiz

Original Reference: Basel-Landschaft, B-Objekte, Seite 1

Address:
Hauptstrasse 23 4147 Aesch


Year built: 1606

URL reference: [Web Link]

Additional URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[English] To log a visit, please post a photo of the location you took yourself. You do not have to be in the picture. Please do NOT post pictures of your GPSr! Tell us about your visit. If you cannot provide a photo your visit will still be welcome, but then tell us a bit more, please.

[Deutsch] Bitte postet ein Foto, das ihr selbst gemacht habt. Bilder von Euch selbst sind nicht erforderlich, Bilder von Eurem GPS-Gerät möchten wir gar nicht sehen. Erzählt uns etwas von eurem Besuch. Falls Ihr kein Foto habt, könnt ich trotzdem einen Besuch loggen, aber dann möchten wir bitte ein bisschen mehr Text sehen.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Austrian and Swiss National Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.