Williams, Arizona
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member brwhiz
N 35° 15.180 W 112° 11.004
12S E 392343 N 3901742
Quick Description: This Historical Marker is located in the northeast corner of the park at Grand Canyon Avenue and Pine Street on the eastern outskirts of Williams, Arizona.
Location: Arizona, United States
Date Posted: 11/8/2012 5:38:06 PM
Waymark Code: WMFNED
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member cache_test_dummies
Views: 12

Long Description:
Williams, Arizona

The area around what now is Williams, Arizona, was first explored by
a Mountain Man who came to this area in 1876, William Shirley
Williams, who was called “Old Bill”.
The town site was created by a cowboy named C.T. Rogers in 1879.
Railroad workers put their camp on the map when they began
construction on the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad in 1880. By 1881 this
camp had enough inhabitants to qualify for a post office, requiring them
to pick a name. They decided on Williams, to honor old Bill.
The railroad reached Williams in 1882.
In 1883 the Saginaw Lumber Company (later Saginaw and Manistee)
moved to town. This tamed Williams as they employed hundreds of men
who brought their families.
In 1890, copper was discovered north of Williams, touching off a
mining boom that lasted for a decade. When the mining boom ran out,
the Santé Fe Railway took over the defunct mining railroad and extended
it into a scenic line to the Grand Canyon.
The first train full of tourists rolled into the Canyon depot on
September 17, 1901. Williams’ trademark, “Gateway to the Grand
Canyon”®, was established in 1984.
The scenic Grand Canyon Railway was reopened in 1989 after
extensive refurbishing.
Williams is the last town on Route 66 to be bypassed by Interstate 40.
On October 13, 1984, traffic was officially diverted.
The Mother Road has made Williams a Mecca for Route 66 enthusiasts.

Dedicated September 25, 2010 (CY6015)
By the Ancient and Honorable Order of
E Clampus Vitus ® 5917+4

Marker Name: Williams, Arizona

Type of history commemorated: Place

County: Coconino

Name of any agency/ agencies setting marker:
E Clampus Vitus ® 5917+4


Year placed: 2010

Visit Instructions:
To claim a log for this waymark, some proof of visit is required. This proof can be a simple gps photo, a photo with your mascot (a signature item that you use for photographs, similar to using a gps) or a answer to any question that the person who posted the waymark has asked. A gps photo will always be accepted as proof of visit regardless of any specific question a waymark may ask.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Arizona Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
wildernessmama visited Williams, Arizona 11/2/2019 wildernessmama visited it
The Snowdog visited Williams, Arizona 3/20/2019 The Snowdog visited it
Forrest Clan visited Williams, Arizona 11/19/2016 Forrest Clan visited it
veritas vita visited Williams, Arizona 10/11/2016 veritas vita visited it
philbeer visited Williams, Arizona 7/26/2013 philbeer visited it
Poehunters visited Williams, Arizona 7/26/2013 Poehunters visited it

View all visits/logs