Commercial Building - State Fairgrounds - Sedalia, Mo.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 41.567 W 093° 15.507
15S E 477523 N 4282716
This sign is in front of the Commercial Building in the State Fair Grounds in Sedalia, Mo.
Waymark Code: WMG1EN
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 01/01/2013
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member GEO*Trailblazer 1
Views: 3

This is a wooden sign with a small asphalt roof. The sign is yellow with black type. The text reads:

Originally designed as the Palace of Agriculture, this 80' x 160' building was labeled the Horticulture Building by the Premium List of 1906, but the Agriculture Building by Program Books from 1915, 1918, 1920. Postcards from 1908 through 1912 call this building the Liberal Arts Building.

In the 1920s, it became the Education Building, displaying the work of Missouri's schools.

The shaped parapet and arched windows on the towers add to the Missionesque flavor of the building.

It is one of the three oldest buildings on the fairgrounds.

Architect: Thomas Bast Contractor: T. H. Johnson

From the National Register application:
(visit link)

"Commercial Building/Agricultural Building. Built 1903. Contributing

Shaped parapets with copings above the four entrances, "bell towers" on the corners and extensive archwork provide a strong Missionesque flavor for this exposition hall. The approximately 80' x 160' building is one of three red brick and steel exposition halls (each unique) constructed for the 1903 fair. The round-arched entrances (one per side) and corner towers are projecting, with divisions between the bays defined by rusticated pilasters. Windows are recessed with round compound arches. Each Missionesque parapet contains a circular window, two of which (on the long axis) are emphasized with elaborate metal surrounds. The roof is hipped with lower cross gables and there are four hipped-roof dormers. Windows in one corner tower are double-hung 15/15s but single-frame units of 15 lights prevail; all contain additional windowing within their arch. Sandstone is used for trim and lugsills, but the water table/foundation is limestone. Rooflet brackets are scrolled wood. The four corners contain restrooms, storage and office space. Galvanized iron finials and urns have been removed. A concrete ramp has been added on the north. The metal doors are replacements of the original wood panel doors. Overall, this is a moderately altered resource. Originally the Agricultural Building, it had been redesignated as the Education Building by the 1920s. Several years ago, it became the Commercial Building. Architect: Bast. Contractor: Johnson."
Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Zaphody3k visited Commercial Building - State Fairgrounds - Sedalia, Mo. 08/15/2014 Zaphody3k visited it