Paragonah Town Square
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member brwhiz
N 37° 53.189 W 112° 46.515
12S E 343891 N 4194705
Quick Description: This Historical Marker, erected by the Betsy Topham Camp of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers and the Paragonah Civic Committee, is located at approximately 35 N Main Street (Utah Highway 271) in Paragonah, Utah.
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 4/1/2013 8:13:40 PM
Waymark Code: WMGQQP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member JacobBarlow
Views: 10

Long Description:
Paragonah Town Square

This area, a part of the Great Basin, has evolved from the time of Lake Bonneville. It has known Anasazi Indian civilizations as evidenced by nearby ruins. It has seen the Dominguez-Escalante expedition of 1776 which passed west of this valley. It has hosted explorers and traders on the Old Spanish Trail which came through Bear Valley and entered the Parowan Valley at Little Creek. It knew the Jedediah S. Smith expedition in 1826. Even Parley P. Pratt and his company explored here in 1849 to search for sites for Mormon colonization.

Apostle George A. Smith led an expedition and colonized what is now Parowan in the year 1851. That spring, 40 acres were cultivated near Black Rock, south of town. In 1852 others joined the farming venture, building rude huts for shelter at "Red Creek," as it was originally named. In 1853 the settlement was abandoned due to Indian skirmishes, and was not resettled until 1855 when a fort was erected.

The town's name was originally spelled "Paragoonah," an Indian word meaning "many watering holes." Artesian wells dotted the landscape, which today have been replaced by gravity-flow sprinkling systems that provide water to the abundant stands of alfalfa.

This Centennial year of 1996 finds a peaceful community with a spirit of unity, freedom from density of population, clear spring water, and clean air. Nearby canyons provide ample opportunities for fishing, hunting, and other recreation. Old homes and barns, the Black Rock Cave, and Anasazi remnants make it historically unique. Today, the proud community honors its past and future in the Town/Church square at this spot.

Marker Name: Paragonah Town Square

Marker Number: None ~ Erected in 1996

Marker Text:
See Detailed Description


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.