Bancroft's First School - 232
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Chasing Blue Sky
N 42° 43.176 W 111° 53.120
12T E 427510 N 4730057
Quick Description: This Daughters of Utah Pioneers historical marker documents the towns first school house. The marker is located at 100 South Main Street in Bancroft, Idaho.
Location: Idaho, United States
Date Posted: 8/22/2013 9:04:00 AM
Waymark Code: WMHX57
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member JacobBarlow
Views: 4

Long Description:

Situated on the northeast corner of 100 South and Main Street, outside the City Hall, this historical marker tells of the first school built in 1894. The marker reads:


DAUGHTERS OF UTAH PIONEERS

No.         232
ERECTED          1956

BANCROFT'S FIRST SCHOOL

  ONE BLOCK WEST FROM THIS SITE, IN 1894, THE
PIONEERS OF THIS AREA ERECTED A SCHOOL
HOUSE BUILT OF RED BRICK MADE AND KILNED BY
THEM. IT WAS ONE ROOM, TWENTY-FIVE BY FORTY
FEET. GUSS ERICKSON LAID THE BRICK. FIRST
TEACHERS WERE EDITH TOWNSEND AND NATHAN
BARLOW. IN 1907 THE SCHOOL WAS SOLD TO THE
L.D.S. CHURCH AND ADDITIONAL ROOMS BUILT. IT
WAS USED AS A PLACE OF WORKSHIP UNTIL 1930.
THE BELL HUNG IN A TOWER OF THE SCHOOL
HOUSE AND CALLED THE PEOPLE TO SCHOOL,
CHURCH, AND OTHER ASSEMBLIES. WHEN THE
BUILDING WAS RAZED IN 1945 THE BELL WAS
GIVEN TO THE DAUGHTERS OF UTAH PIONEERS

CAMP LOUIE                                                                            
CAMP ALICE ASTON                              CARIBOU COUNTY, IDAHO

Bancroft is situated in the north end of the Portneuf Valley. It is a railroad town along the alignment of the old Highway 30. The population of Bancroft in the 2010 census was 377. Bancroft is located northwest of Soda Springs and northeast of Lava Hot Springs in Caribou County.

Marker Name: Bancroft's First School

Marker Number: 232

Marker Text:
BANCROFT'S FIRST SCHOOL ONE BLOCK WEST FROM THIS SITE, IN 1894, THE PIONEERS OF THIS AREA ERECTED A SCHOOL HOUSE BUILT OF RED BRICK MADE AND KILNED BY THEM. IT WAS ONE ROOM, TWENTY-FIVE BY FORTY FEET. GUSS ERICKSON LAID THE BRICK. FIRST TEACHERS WERE EDITH TOWNSEND AND NATHAN BARLOW. IN 1907 THE SCHOOL WAS SOLD TO THE L.D.S. CHURCH AND ADDITIONAL ROOMS BUILT. IT WAS USED AS A PLACE OF WORKSHIP UNTIL 1930. THE BELL HUNG IN A TOWER OF THE SCHOOL HOUSE AND CALLED THE PEOPLE TO SCHOOL, CHURCH, AND OTHER ASSEMBLIES. WHEN THE BUILDING WAS RAZED IN 1945 THE BELL WAS GIVEN TO THE DAUGHTERS OF UTAH PIONEERS.


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Chasing Blue Sky visited Bancroft's First School - 232 6/14/2013 Chasing Blue Sky visited it