The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri - Marthasville, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 37.630 W 091° 03.631
15S E 668827 N 4277188
Quick Description: The return~"the party being extreemly anxious to get down ply their ores very well,...Some cows on the bank which was a joyfull Sight...Caused a Shout...came in Sight of the little french Village called Charriton [Charrette]."- William Clark, 1806
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 1/7/2014 6:12:12 AM
Waymark Code: WMJWF9
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Geo Ferret
Views: 2

Long Description:

County of marker: Warren County
Location of marker: One St. (MO D & Depot St., Katy Trail, Marthasville
This Lewis and Clark Expedition interpretive sign was produced in cooperation with the William A. Kerr Foundation, St. Louis, Mo., and the Missouri State Parks Foundation
Marker erected by: Missouri Department of Natural Resources

Marker Text:
   "the party being extreemly anxious to get down ply their ores very well, we Saw Some cows on the bank
   which was a joyfull Sight to the party and Caused a Shout to be raised for joy at [blank] P M we Came in
   Sight of the little french Village called Charriton [Charrette]."
    William Clark, September 20, 1806

On Sept. 20, 1806, Lewis and Clark Expedition camped near this site on the return voyage of their epic trek across the continent. Only three days out from St. Louis, the men on the Corps of Discovery were eager to reach the ending point of the expedition, and for the previous two days they had foregone hunting and subsisted on pawpaws in order to waste no time in reaching the "settlements," (La Charrette), on the evening of Sept. 20.

As they pulled into the village at sunset the men raised a shout and received the permission of Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark to fire a salute. Three rounds were fired to hearty cheers. A party of five trading boats tied up at La Charrette returned the salute. These boats were bound for the Osage and Oto tribes (Sgt. John Ordway stated they were heading to the Omaha nation) and were under the command of two young Scotsmen from Canada. They generously provided the men with beef, flour and pork, and the French residents from the village brought milk and other items for the crew. One crafty resident sold the expedition two gallons of whiskey for the extortionate price of $8 in cash.

According to Clark, "every person, both French and americans Seem to express great pleasure at our return, and acknowledged them selves much astonished in Seeing us return. They informed us that we were Supposed to have been lost long Since, and were entirely given out by every person &c,"

The captains did encounter discontent among the American settlers they met at the village over the difficulty they were having with the new U.S. territorial government getting their Spanish land grants confirmed. Lewis and Clark, as future territorial administrators, would soon become embroiled in this seething controversy that would drag on for several years prior to statehood.

SCHENECTADY BOATS
While at La Charrette, William Clark expressed his admiration for the boats of the party of Canadians that were tied to the river bank. During the trip up the Missouri River in 1804 to the winter camp at the Mandan villages, members of the expedition had to maneuver a large 55-foot long keelboat that Lewis contracted to be built in Pittsburgh against the uncommonly rapid currents of the Lower Missouri River. By the end of this leg of the journey, both captains were ready to concede that the large, ungainly keelboat was not the ideal boat to take up this river. The boats Clark saw at La Charrette, however, seemed perfectly suited for the Missouri. These "schenectady" boats, as Clark termed them, were wide in proportion to their length, unlike the keelboat, which had a round bottom. They were smaller - 30 feet long by eight feet wide with pointed bows and sterns and flat bottoms. Because of this design, they were not prone to rolling on their sides when grounded on sandbars, which was a problem that constantly plagued the keelboat. And unlike the keelboat, which required 20 oars, these boats needed only six oarsmen. "I believe them [the Schenectady-type boats] to be the best Caculated for the navigation of this river of any which I have Seen."

PHOTO CAPTIONS:
William Clark made the only known drawing of the keelboat on Jan. 21, 1804. This 55-foot long, galley-style keelboat proved unwieldy and difficult to handle on the Missouri River.
Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library

At La Charrette, Lewis and Clark encountered Americans whowere disgruntled over the difficulty they were having getting their Spanish land grants confirmed. This plot show severls Spanish-era American land grnts associated with the Boone settlement, including one belonging to the celebrated pioneer Daniel Boone at the lower right corner. Boone received this grant in 1799, but it was denied by a federal land commission in 1809 and not finally confirmed until 1814. Members of Boone's extended family resided at La Charrette and Boone, himself, was a frequent visitor.
Plat courtesy of Missouri Department of Natural Resources' Geological Survey and Resource Assessment Division.
Portrait of Daniel Boone was an engraving by James Otto Lewis copied from a no longer extant painting by Charles Harding. ~ Courtesy of Missouri Historical Society, St. Louis

This ca. 1826 map of Missouri, published in France, shows Charette (La Charrette) in Montgomery County (Warren County would not be established until 1833). The village fell victim to the floods and shifting currents of the Missouri River and ceased to appear on maps by the end of the 1820's. By then, Marthasville was a thriving pioneer community

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:

Some clarifications of this text is needed.
The "extended family members" of Daniel Boone that lived at La Charrette were the Bryans - Rebecca, his wife, family. They had a couple of grant sites, and BTW still do. The cemetery where Rebecca and Daniel were buried is her parents farm, and still a descendants farm.

Land Grants: This goes for the Boone's and the Austins in both MO and TX.
When a person (either Moses Austin or Daniel Morgan Boone the true mover of the family) received permission from the Spanish government to colonize the Spanish territories they were given 640 acre grants.

These were always temporary. To "seal" the land grant you had to present yourself to the local commandant and prove you could and would both work the land and protect those with you.

Daniel Boone could not. The Spanish commandant denied his grant, and Boone live in a cabin on Nathan Boone's property (his youngest son).

Rebecca lived with her daughter Jemima in today's Dutzow.

When the area became "American" in 1804, Boone tried to get the land again and this time William Clark was territorial governor; and he also denied the claim in 1809.

In 1814, the territorial governor granted ownership to the "family" but not directly to Daniel.



Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.