The Ferryboat Landing - New Haven, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 36.938 W 091° 12.874
15S E 655442 N 4275635
Quick Description: Ferry boats and steamboats landing kept this town alive.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 1/9/2014 8:17:59 AM
Waymark Code: WMJX1M
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Geo Ferret
Views: 4

Long Description:

County of marker: Franklin County
Location of marker: Levee walk, behind the Miller's Land Bed & Breakfast, Main St., New Haven
Marker erected by New Haven Chamber of Commerce
Sign sponsored by: The New Haven Area Chamber of Commerce
Photo: of the "Tilda-Clara provided by New Haven Preservation Society

Marker Text:
"The Ferryboat Landing:
"For nearly a century ferryboats docked along the river bank below. Beginning in 1831, at a site one mile west of here called Griswold City, a ferryboat poled across the river daily. By the late 1800's ferryboats were making hourly trips from New Haven to Warren County. Residents north of the river living in the communities of Pinckney, Piers, Treloar, and Smith Creek used the ferry for travel to New Haven to shop and socialize. High School students used the ferry to attend school in New Haven.

"Built with paddlewheels, the early boats were powered by steam engines fueled with wood. The most unusual ferryboat, the "Tilda-Clara", circa 1900, was powered by a team of horses which walked on a treadmill and turned the paddlewheel.. Later boats used gasoline engines and carried automobiles and their passengers.

Olive Street, then called Ferry Street, led from the ferryboat to Front Street and the railroad station. Many New Haven businesses, including Grannemann's General Store located along this street benefited from ferryboat traffic. With the completion of the Missouri River bridge at Washington in 1936 ferryboat service was discontinued. Today there is little contact between residents living on opposite sides of the river.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
Treloar still exists. Piers now called Peers, still exists.
Pickney was the Montgomery County seat until the river took it down stream. And in 1833 Warren County was formed from Montgomery County, so the county seat in Montgomery was moved to Lewiston (also no longer existing).
Pickney was directly across the river from New Haven.


Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.