Arnos Grove Underground Station - Bowes Road, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 36.970 W 000° 08.011
30U E 698445 N 5722241
Arnos Grove tube station serves London Underground's Piccadilly Line. The station is located on the north side of Bowes road where there is an entrance and ticket office. The tracks and platforms are below the station.
Waymark Code: WMMKNA
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/04/2014
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 1

Wikipedia has an entry about Arnos Grove station that tells us:

Arnos Grove is a London Underground station on the Piccadilly line between Bounds Green and Southgate. It is in Travelcard Zone 4 and is located in Arnos Grove, near Arnos Park on Bowes Road, London. The station and surrounding neighbourhood of Arnos Grove take their names from the Arnos Grove estate, which was north of the station. The station is the first surface station north after the long tunnel section from Barons Court via Central London.

The station was opened on 19 September 1932 as the most northerly on the first section of the Piccadilly line extension from Finsbury Park to Cockfosters. It was the terminus of the line until services were further extended to Oakwood on 13 March 1933. Its name was chosen after public deliberation: alternatives were "Arnos Park", "Bowes Road" and "Southgate".

Like the other stations Charles Holden designed for the extension, Arnos Grove was built in a modern European style using brick, glass and reinforced concrete and basic geometric shapes. A circular drum-like ticket hall of brick and glass panels rises from a low single-storey structure and is capped by a flat concrete roof. The design was inspired by the Stockholm City Library and Swedish architect Gunnar Asplund. A similar design was employed by Holden for the rebuilding of Chiswick Park on the District line (also in 1932), although the drum there is supplemented with an adjacent brick tower. The centre of the ticket hall is occupied by a disused ticket office (a passimeter in London Underground parlance) which houses an exhibition on the station and the line. In July 2011 Arnos Grove became a Grade II* listed building. The building is one of the 12 "Great Modern Buildings" profiled in The Guardian during October 2007, and was summarised by architectural critic Jonathan Glancey as "...truly what German art historians would describe as a gesamtkunstwerk, a total and entire work of art."

On 11 August 1948, a passenger train was derailed when the front and rear bogies of a carriage took different routes at a set of points.

Three parallel train tracks pass through the station, with two double-sided platforms between the central track and the outer tracks. The edges of the platforms are labelled platform 1 and 2, and platform 3 and 4, in such a way that the two outer tracks are accessible from platforms 1 and 4, and the central track, usually used by trains that terminate and reverse at Arnos Grove station, is accessible from platforms 2 and 3. Platforms 1 and 2 are designated for trains to Cockfosters, platforms 3 and 4 for trains to Central London. When operational problems occur on the line, Arnos Grove station may act as a temporary terminus of a reduced service – either a shuttle service between Arnos Grove and Cockfosters or a truncated service from Central London. The station has a set of seven sidings to its south for stabling trains.

In 2005 the station underwent a refurbishment programme including improvements to signage, security and train information systems. Some of the original signs are in a 'petit-serif' adaptation of the London Underground typeface, Johnston Sans. This type-face was designed by Charles Holden and Percy Delf Smith.

The station is part of the Arnos Grove group of stations, comprising all seven stations from Cockfosters to Turnpike Lane, and the management office for the group is in Arnos Grove station. Linked to the station by a lineside passageway is Ash House, which is a drivers' depot. Arnos Grove is often noted for its station cat (a rarity on the London Underground network), called Spooky, who now occupies the station car park after being evicted due to the introduction of UTS gates.

London Buses routes serve the bus station (the tube station forecourt) are 34; 184; 232; 251; 298; 382 and night route N91.

Arnos Grove station is Grade II* listed with the entry at the English Heritage website tells us:

Reasons for Designation

Arnos Grove Underground station is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * architectural interest: a striking design with a prominent circular booking hall providing both an effective landmark and hugely impressive interior space. Its large panels of glazing making it particularly evocative when lit at night; * historic interest: probably the most highly regarded example of Charles Holden's ground-breaking Modernist designs for the Piccadilly Line extensions of the early 1930s. These were of great importance for introducing rational modern design based on continental models to a wider public and for imposing a brand image to buildings and design when this was still novel. They were widely praised in the architectural press at the time and remain influential today; * intactness: the station is largely unaltered and retains notable features such as the passimeter and telephone kiosks in the booking hall and platform structures.

Arnos Grove station was built as part of the first section of the northward extension of the Piccadilly Line to Cockfosters. This seven-mile extension beyond the original terminus of Finsbury Park, to serve the enlarging suburban areas in north Middlesex, was authorised by a parliamentary Act of 4 June 1930, and was overseen by Frank Pick (1878-1941), the visionary administrator of the Underground Group and Chief Executive of the London Transport Passenger Board from 1933. The first section of the extension, from Finsbury Park to Arnos Grove, which included the stations at Manor House, Turnpike Lane, Wood Green and Bounds Green, was opened on 19 September 1932. Southgate and Enfield West (now Oakwood) followed in March 1933, and the terminus at Cockfosters opened on 31 July 1933.

Work on Arnos Grove started in 1931. Like most of the stations on both the east and west extensions of the Piccadilly Line, it was designed by Charles Henry Holden (1875-1960). However, much of the practical detail for Arnos Grove was undertaken within the practice of Adams, Holden, and Pearson by Holden's chief assistant at the time, Charles Hutton (1907-95). The first of Holden's stations with a circular ticket hall, its design of a cylinder within a square was, according to Hutton, based on a groundsman's lodge at Midhurst Sanatorium designed by Adams, Holden, and Pearson in 1904-6. Others have identified the Stockholm City Library (1920-28 by Erik Gunnar Asplund), which Pick and Holden had visited in 1930, as an influence. Following problems at Sudbury Town, and subsequently at Arnos Grove, with leaking shuttering for the concrete roof discolouring the brickwork, the construction methods were changed part way through the project and the load-bearing brick walls were replaced with a reinforced-concrete frame with brick infill. This necessitated changes to the design, carried out by Hutton, with the entrances repositioned to fit the sixteen concrete stanchions grouped in pairs between the windows and changes to the proportions. The Piccadilly Line stations of Charles Holden are among the first and most widely celebrated examples of modern architecture in Britain. They are significant for bringing this new idiom to the general public, and for imposing a brand image to buildings and design when this was still novel. The stations are perhaps unique in the admiration they attracted from more experienced foreign architects and critics, for Britain was elsewhere backward in modern architecture and design. Arnos Grove represents perhaps the single most powerful architectural composition by Charles Holden in his work for London Underground and as a single clear statement of the architect's classic early 1930s style it is unsurpassed. The station was listed at Grade II in 1971 and renovated in the late 1980s to a high standard.


MATERIALS: Reinforced concrete frame, clad in Buckinghamshire red and Staffordshire brindled blue brick; flat concrete slab roofs with dentiled soffits.

EXTERIOR: The station consists of a tall circular ticket hall set in a square single-storey base, containing shops and offices, positioned on the west side of a cutting. Entrances to the south and west serve the street and car park respectively, the front entrance divided into two by a brick pier. The brick work of the base is extended to the east to provide the parapet for a road bridge over the cutting. From the ticket hall a concrete gantry provides stairways down to the platforms. The ticket hall has a reinforced-concrete frame with the tall circular drum clad in red Buckinghamshire bricks laid in a mixture of bonds to give a diaper-work effect, with brindled blue Staffordshire brickwork used for the lower parts of the building and the bridge parapet. The flat oversailing concrete roofs have dentilled soffits and deep concrete cornices. In the drum, vertical bands of metal windows alternate with the brick infill, each of fifteen lights with thin horizontal glazing bars between a broader, near-square section, frame. Most of the original stippled glazing survives. The lower building has large areas of horizontal glazing above long artificial stone sills which continue as a dado, and are set under a concrete cornice inset with a reinstated blue tiled band that bears the station name in Johnson Sans typeface. Fixed to the brickwork are poster boards with timber frames. On the projecting roof towards the street is a freestanding, flag-pole mounted London Underground roundel sign with reproduction 1930s graphics bearing the name 'UNDERGROUND' between hashed lines. There are further bronze mounted replacement roundels on concrete panels on the brick walls at each end of the bus slip road and four original concrete lamp posts in front of the car park with modern light fittings. A dwarf wall of Staffordshire brick with an artificial stone coping encloses planters on the south and west of the station and another fronts the car park.

INTERIOR: Inside the ticket hall, the concrete frame is expressed by a large concrete ring-beam where the Staffordshire brick-clad lower ranges meet the upper Buckingham brick-clad drum, and by the sixteen vertical ribs forming pilasters above the ring beam. The exposed concrete roof is supported on a single giant, board-marked, column descending from a slightly convex ceiling boss. The column is surrounded by the original passimeter or ticket office, also circular, glazed above sill height (where the original linoleum finish was replaced in another material in the refit) with steel windows that angle to form part of the passimeter roof structure; a desk with fitted drawers and cupboards line the interior. At the western entrance (to the car park), there are five wooden telephone kiosks and a telephone directory niche, sensitively restored in 2000. The offices and two shops have similar timber windows and glazed timber doors complete with original door handles and reproduction Johnson Sans lettering in the fascia above. A modern ticket office with bronze detailing has been set into the curve of the drum on the north side. Bronze poster frames on timber panels line the walls, whilst the newspaper kiosk at the southern (street) entrance has a timber counter and rear shelving. The St James's floor tiles are modern replacements. From the east of the ticket hall steps lead down to a concrete bridge over the tracks lit by metal-framed windows with horizontal glazing bars. Clerestorey windows make the steps particularly light and they retain the original bronze handrails, small bronze wall-mounted light fittings and timber poster panels. From the bridge two sets of steps on either side lead to platform level.

PLATFORM: The platform shelters comprise concrete canopies supported on lintels set between pairs of near-square columns, slightly arched at their tops, and with central rooflights. Behind each set of stairs are set benches, shielded by glazed screens. Other fixed seats on the platform are timber; the five with seats facing both directions and roundels are original, whilst those without roundels are later additions. There are also free-standing concrete tripartite poster-boards with tile surrounds to the bronze poster frames and central roundel (replacement). Further bronze-framed roundels are affixed ton the wall on the far side of the track and sides of the staircases. Other early or original features of the platform furniture include 'Way Out' signs, platform number signs, bronze staff letter boxes and an analogue clock suspended from a cross-beam on the eastbound platform. An enclosed, steel-clad, staff footbridge was later added at the south end of the platforms.

Is there other puplic transportation in the area?: Yes

What level is the station?: Below street level

Visit Instructions:
You must upload at least two photo's:
A photo of the name of the station.
And a photo of the entrance of the station.
The station must be connected to a metro/subway rail-system.

Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest The Underground
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.