32 31 - Lewie Chapel / The Lewie Family
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member gpsblake
N 33° 55.412 W 081° 23.318
17S E 464078 N 3753745
Quick Description: Historical marker in Gilbert, SC that was once called Lewiedale.
Location: South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 10/19/2014 6:24:19 PM
Waymark Code: WMMPEK
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member MountainWoods
Views: 6

Long Description:
32 31
LEWIE CHAPEL (OLD GILBERT METHODIST CHURCH)
Lewie Chapel, a Methodist church founded on this site in the 1870s by Solomon R. Lewie (1835-1878) and others, was later known as Lewiedale Methodist Church and after 1910 as Gilbert Methodist Church. The original sanctuary, replaced in 1960 by a new sanctuary about 1 mile west, burned in the early 1970's.
(continued on other side)

32 31
THE LEWIE FAMILY
(continues from other side)
The town of Gilbert, also known as Gilbert Hollow was called Lewiedale from 1866 to 1899 after the family of Samuel (1802-1865) and Nancy Hendrix Lewie (1807-1865). Four of six Lewie sons saw Confederate service in the 15th S.C. Infantry, with Frederick S.(1831-1873) as its lieutenant colonel and James H. (1838-1889) as a captain. Several family members are buried here.

Erected by 1th Reg. S.S. Vols, Sons of Confederate veterans, 2000
Marker Name: 32 31 - Lewie Chapel / The Lewie Family

Marker Location: City

Type of Marker: Historic Site

Marker number: 32 31

County: Lexington

Visit Instructions:
A picture of the marker taken by you or specific details of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest South Carolina Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.