Richmond Underground Station - The Quadrant, Richmond, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 27.795 W 000° 18.113
30U E 687418 N 5704795
Richmond Station is a multi-purpose station serving London Underground's District Line; London Overground and Mainline services. The entrance and ticket hall is on the south east side of the Quadrant with the platforms and tracks at the same level.
Waymark Code: WMMRF8
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/29/2014
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 2

Wikipedia has an article that covers all aspects of Richmond station. It tells us:

Richmond (London) station is a National Rail and London Underground station, managed by South West Trains, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames in south west London. South West Trains services on the Waterloo to Reading Line are routed through Richmond, which is between North Sheen and St. Margarets stations. Richmond is also a terminus of one of the branches of London Underground's District line and for the London Overground's North London Line; the next station on both these lines, to the northeast, is Kew Gardens.

The station building, in Portland stone and dating from 1937, is in Art Deco style and its facade includes a square clock. The area in front of the station main entrance was pedestrianised in 2013.

The Richmond and West End Railway (R&WER) opened the first station at Richmond on 27 July 1846 as the terminus of its line from Clapham Junction on a site, which later became a goods yard, to the south of the present through platforms and where a multi-storey car park now stands. The Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway (WS&SWR) extended the line westward resiting the station to the west side of The Quadrant, on the extended tracks slightly west of the present through platforms. Both the R&WER and WS&SWR were subsidiary companies of the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR).

On 1 January 1869 the L&SWR opened a line to Richmond from north of Addison Road station (now Kensington (Olympia) station) on the West London Joint Railway. This line ran through Hammersmith (Grove Road) station, since closed, and Turnham Green and had connection with the North & South Western Junction Railway (N&SWJR) near Gunnersbury. Most of this line is now part of the London Underground District line; the line south from Gunnersbury was also served by the North London Railway (NLR) and is now used also by London Overground. Before this line was built services north from Richmond ran somewhat circuitously via chords at Kew Bridge and Barnes.

The Great Western Railway (GWR) briefly (1 June to 31 October 1870)  ran a service from Paddington to Richmond via the Hammersmith & City Railway (now the Hammersmith & City line) tracks to Grove Road then over the L&SWR tracks through Turnham Green.

On 1 June 1877 the District Railway (DR) linked its then terminus at Hammersmith to the nearby L&SWR tracks east of the present Ravenscourt Park station. The DR began running trains over the L&SWR tracks to Richmond. On 1 October 1877, the Metropolitan Railway (MR, now the Metropolitan line) restarted the former GWR service to Richmond via Grove Road station.

The DR route from Richmond to central London via Hammersmith was more direct than those of the NLR via Willesden Junction, of the L&SWR and the MR via Grove Road station and of the L&SWR via Clapham Junction to Waterloo. From 1 January 1894, the GWR began sharing the MR Richmond service, resulting in Gunnersbury having the services of five operators.

After electrifying its tracks north of Acton Town in 1903, the DR funded the electrification, completed on 1 August 1905, from Gunnersbury to Richmond. The DR ran electric trains on the branch while the L&SWR, NLR, GWR and MR services continued to be steam hauled.

MR services ceased on 31 December 1906 and those of the GWR on 31 December 1910 leaving operations northwards through Kew Gardens and Gunnersbury to the DR (by then known as the District Railway), the NLR and L&SWR. On 3 June 1916 the L&SWR withdrew its service from Richmond to Addison Road through Hammersmith due to competition from the District line, leaving the District as the sole operator over that route and the NLR providing mainline services via Willesden Junction.

Under the grouping of 1923 the L&SWR became part of the Southern Railway (SR) and the NLR became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS); both were subsequently nationalised into British Railways. On 1 August 1937 the SR opened its rebuilt station with the station building and the through platforms moved east to be next to the terminal platforms. At around the same time the SR moved the goods yard from the site of the original terminus to a new location north-east of the station.

Local bus services serve the station.

Is there other puplic transportation in the area?: Yes

What level is the station?: Street level

Visit Instructions:
You must upload at least two photo's:
A photo of the name of the station.
And a photo of the entrance of the station.
The station must be connected to a metro/subway rail-system.

Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest The Underground
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.