Dillard - Dillard, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 37° 43.241 W 091° 12.384
15S E 658075 N 4176338
The town that was once here.
Waymark Code: WMMX3D
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 11/18/2014
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member MountainWoods
Views: 3

County of marker: Crawford County
Location of marker Old Dilard Mills Rd., Dillard Mill State Historic Site
Marker erected by: Missouri Department of Natural Resources

Marker text:

Originally, Dillard was located on this hillside to avoid the flood waters of Indian Creek. In the late 19th century, the settlement relocated a mile north to the Sligo and Eastern Railroad line. The tracks have since been removed.

From this vantage point are visible four structures and foundation stones of one building connected to the area's history.

Store Foundations
To the left about 50 feet are four foundation stones indicating the location of a store, one of several that operated in Dillard. Businesses located near the mill because it was the center of commercial activity until the coming of the railroad. The Sligo and Eastern Railroad served primarily the nearby Sligo Furnace, an iron ore smelting operation that began business in 1879 and shut down in 1921. Like a magnet, it pulled businesses from their locations near the mill to its railroad tracks. The present location of Dillard is reflected in the picture taken in approximately 1904.

Adams - Wilhite Store
Further to the right of the lodge and on this side of the main road, the unpainted metal-roofed board and batten building was once known as the Adams-Wilhite Store. It was built in the 1880s and served simultaneously as the community's post office. Pictured to the right is Cletis Cottrell, grandson of Joseph Dillard Cotrell, after whom the town was named. Cletis Cottrell was the community's last postmaster -- handing out mail from his store located in (new) Dillard. This structure stands today along Dillard Mill Road just off Highway 49 .

Log Cottage   Lodge   Mimi's House
This was the "honeymoon" cottage built by Lester Klemme as part of his Old Mill Lodge resort. It is the only one of the resort's cabins still standing.

This two-story home across the entrance road was built by the Mischkes, owners of Dillard Mill. In April 1930, Lester Klemme purchased the home, and it became the centerpiece of his Old Mill Lodge. Presently, this building serves as the historic site administrator's residence.

Across the entrance road well behind the Adams-Wilhite Store is a small bungalow home built by Lester Klemme as a residence for his grandmother, Mimi Klemme. Following her death, the house became part of the lodge.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
please see above

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
frog1962 visited Dillard - Dillard, MO 05/10/2022 frog1962 visited it