Dubuque's Mines of Spain - Dubuque IA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member nomadwillie
N 42° 27.540 W 090° 39.860
15T E 692042 N 4703383
Quick Description: Located outside the EB Lyons Interpretive Center.
Location: Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 9/7/2015 1:38:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMPJ7H
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 3

Long Description:
Marker reades:

Dubuque's Mines of Spain

The ciity Dubuque was name for Julien Dubuque, a swarthy French-Canadian who came to this area around 1785. Dububue wooed Potosa, the daught of Peosta, a Fox Indian chief whose village stodd at the mouth of the Catfish Creek, just below present-day Dubuque.

In 1788 the Fox Indians gave Dubuque the right to work the lead mines in what is now Dubuque County. in 1796 Governor Carondelet of Upper Louisana granted Dubuque the first and largest of three Spanish Land Grant in Iowa. This so-called Mines of Spain was a 9-mile wide tract adjoining the Mississippi between the Little Maquoketa and Tet de Mort Creek.

Late each fall Dubuque left his Mines of Spain for St. Louis with a boatload of furs and lead. Unsuccessful in his mining venture, he fell heavily in debt to Auguste Chouteau and signed away the southern half of his Spanish Land Grant. On his death in 1810, the Chouteaus attempted to take over the land but the Fox Indians drove them away, claiming Dubuque was given the right to work the mines, not own them. This agruement was upheld by the United States Supreme Court in 1853.

Erected by the State Historical Society of Iowa
and the Iowa State Highway Commission 1967
Visit Instructions:
Must state something other than
Yep!" or "Been Here" give some insight.
Picture is required with your log. Thanks!

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Iowa Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.