Loyalist Burial Ground - St. Stephen, NB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 45° 11.790 W 067° 16.454
19T E 635551 N 5006228
Quick Description: A late 18th century cemetery cemetery, The old Loyalist Burial Ground was begun by British Empire Loyalists fleeing from the newly formed United States of America.
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Date Posted: 10/19/2015 11:15:17 PM
Waymark Code: WMPTRD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 4

Long Description:
Near the centre of the burial ground is a large memorial consisting of three black granite slabs mounted on a concrete base, a memorial to the first British Empire Loyalists of the St. Stephen area.

The memorial reads:

Loyalist Burial Ground
1784 - 1859

Erected in Memory of
The First Loyalists of This Area
Many in Unmarked Graves


This is followed by the names of the Loyalists known to have been buried in the cemetery, spread across the three granite slabs.

In use from 1784 until 1859, when the St. Stephen Rural Cemetery opened, the burial ground originally contained the remains of essentially all of the Loyalists who settled in the St. Stephen area. After the new cemetery opened in 1859 many of the remains were relocated there, though many remain in this burial ground, many in unmarked graves. Many of the tombstones have been vandalized and broken over the years, with several of them gathered together in a raised bed toward the rear of the cemetery.

The burial ground underwent a substantial restoration in 2008, at which time a black granite plaque bearing the following text was installed.

At the end of the American Revolution, Loyalists were forced to flee for their lives. On May 23, 1784, a destitute group of about 200 including men, women, and children, led by Capt. Nehemiah Marks, steered up the St. Croix River to the head of tide and landed on the Canadian banks of the St. Croix.

For their loyalty, King George III granted them land, which over time they made prosperous. A large community grew around shipbuilding and lumbering industries. It became the Town of St. Stephen in 1871.

This monument recognizes the founders of our community, their spouses and their progeny who also are buried here. These men and women struggled and succeeded. They created the foundation for all we enjoy today. We pray this hallowed ground serves as a contemporary reminder of their tenacity and hard work.

Loyalist Burial Ground Restoration Committee 2008

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Group that erected the marker: Loyalist Burial Ground Restoration Committee

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
123 King Street
St. Stephen, NB Canada
E3L 2C6


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
GéoSpyder visited Loyalist Burial Ground - St. Stephen, NB 7/27/2017 GéoSpyder visited it
hillbilney visited Loyalist Burial Ground - St. Stephen, NB 8/13/2016 hillbilney visited it

View all visits/logs