Ellis Memorial Chapel - Penticton, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 49° 29.669 W 119° 35.596
11U E 312216 N 5485659
The first church built in Penticton, this little church was operated as St. Saviour's Anglican Church from 1905 until the completion of the new St. Saviour's Anglican in 1930.
Waymark Code: WMQ5AC
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 12/22/2015
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member Dunbar Loop
Views: 2

The church was built in 1891-92 in the eastern section of St. Saviour's Anglican Cemetery by Okanagan pioneer Tom Ellis, known as “the cattle king of the Okanagan”. Today the cemetery is better known as Fairview Cemetery. Prior to this, a small chapel was built in 1883 on the cemetery grounds, which was on Ellis land. Ellis sold the church to the Anglican congregation in 1905 for $1.

In 1934 the church was moved to this site beside the present St. Saviour's, built in 1929-30. It was faced with stone to match the larger building and attached to its southeast corner.

A British Columbia Heritage Marker (text from which is below) is mounted beside the iron gate on the walkway on Winnipeg Street leading back to the chapel. Unfortunately, the gate is usually locked, making it difficult to obtain more than a distant view of the chapel.


This chapel is the original St.Saviour's Church, built by Okanagan pioneer Thomas Ellis on his ranch in 1892. Moved a mile north to this site In 1934, the old church was faced with stone and incorporated into the newer St.Saviour's. It is believed to be the oldest building in continual use in Penticton.

Sponsored by St.Saviour's Church



St. Saviour’s is the oldest continuing protestant congregation in the South Okanagan. The first Protestant church services were held in the drawing room of Rancher Tom Ellis’ home, who with his family were the first non-native settlers in the area. Mr. Ellis was originally from England, and he led the Planning for the new Town of Penticton. The original Anglican Church built in 1892, was named St., Saviour’s in gratitude to God for sparing the Ellis family from a tragic accident.

In 1934, the Chancel of St. Saviour’s was relocated from the original site on the Ellis homestead (Fairview Road Cemetery) to become part of the new Anglican Church at the corner of Winnipeg Street and Orchard Avenue. The Ellis Memorial chapel still stands at St. Saviour’s, and is Penticton’s oldest Historical Building.
From St. Saviour’s
Type of Marker: Cultural

Type of Sign: British Columbia Tourism Sign

Describe the parking that is available nearby: Street parking

What Agency placed the marker?: BC Ministry of Transportation

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest British Columbia Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.