Site of Saint Saviour’s Anglican Church - Penticton, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 49° 29.202 W 119° 35.481
11U E 312325 N 5484789
Quick Description: Better known as Saint Savior's Anglican Church Cemetery, within is a marker placed by the City of Penticton which relates a history of the cemetery and the church which once stood in its northeast corner.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 1/5/2016 1:42:49 PM
Waymark Code: WMQ7V3
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dunbar Loop
Views: 1

Long Description:
Located at the corner of Fairview Road and Regina Avenue, Saint Saviour's Anglican Church Cemetery was established in 1886, according to the sign at the entrance. This was the first cemetery in the community and was still active in 2006. Though the cemetery is no longer accepting new burial requests, it continues to accept burials of individuals with previously purchased plots.

The cemetery is the original site of the Saint Saviour's Anglican Church, though the church was moved to a new location 1929.

There are approximately 250 interments, some without headstones. This is a most interesting cemetery with old granite headstones, some cracked and some having crosses now lying on the ground. It is well maintained with lawn and large trees.

Below is the text from the marker.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Site of the Saint Saviour’s Anglican Church

This small pioneer graveyard marks the spirited beginning of Penticton's English/Irish Community.

In 1866, Tom Ellis, a protestant Irishman from Omagh, County Tyrone, 1845 - 1913) established his massive cattle empire. His main ranch house was approximately 500 metres northwest of this site for nearly 26 years. The pioneers of the district held services in the Ellis home. On one fateful trip to Kamloops in the spring of 1892, Ellis and his family survived serious injury when their horse and buggy bolted and overturned. As a thanks to God for safe keeping, Ellis built St. Saviour's on this spot. It opened for service in November of 1892.

By 1905, the village had grown and the building was too small. In 1906 the chancel was cut off and pulled back to add a transept, thereby increasing the seating capacity.

In 1929 a new St. Saviour’s Church was built on Winnipeg Street to the serve the growing town.

In 1934 the two original sections were reassembled and attached to the new church. This addition is now known as Ellis Memorial Chapel. The transept was moved to Naramata to become Saint Peter's Anglican Church.

The cemetery holds:
Penticton's first death, Minnie Zuelkie, age 6
Penticton's first murder victim, Mr. Zimmerman, 1906
Penticton's first police officer killed in the line of duty, Aston, 1914
Penticton's oldest persons: Dorothy Gibson, age 107 and Bertie Beaton, age 103
Amos Barnes, Hotel Penticton
Children of Shatford family, developers of Penticton
Alfred Wade, first Reeve and Postmaster
From the sign within the cemetery

Type of Marker: Cultural

Type of Sign: Historic Site or Building Marker

Describe the parking that is available nearby: Street parking

What Agency placed the marker?: City of Penticton

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest British Columbia Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.