Baptism Font - St Giles - Costock, Nottinghamshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 49.958 W 001° 08.938
30U E 624698 N 5855258
14th cenutry octagonal font in St Giles' church, Costock.
Waymark Code: WMRHWA
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 06/24/2016
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 1

14th century octagonal font bowl on a modern pedestal.

"St Giles’ Church building dates from about 1350, although a Norman stone from a capital was found in the churchyard. It is built from limestone rubble and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and bell turret on the west gable. The bell is dated 1660.

In 1848 the north aisle was added according to designs by G G Place and the church was reseated and refloored. George Gilbert Scott restored the nave and chancel in 1862.

There was a boarded partition above the screen (and never a chancel arch). A similar sort of screen can be seen in Wenhaston Church, Suffolk, and also at Bunny and Wysall.

In the outer south wall is a fine 14th century recess which contains the headless, worn effigy of a priest. On either side of it are good two-light, square-headed windows. Two stained glass windows were designed by Burleson & Grylls. There is a piscina and a font with an ancient bowl on a modern pedestal. The poppy-head bench ends were carved by the Rev C S Millard following the pattern of the six 13th century originals.

There are two distinctive crosses on one of the quoins of the south nave wall, which may be pre-Conquest in form."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Approximate Age of Artefact: Not listed

Relevant Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stone Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.