
Free Quaker Meeting House - 1783 - Philadelphia, PA
Posted by:
bluesnote
N 39° 57.146 W 075° 08.918
18S E 487303 N 4422488
A quaker house in downtown Philadelphia dates back to 1783.
Waymark Code: WMTRXC
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 01/04/2017
Views: 1
The sign is located on the east side of the house, facing Benjamin Franklin's Grave.
Taken from Wikipedia, "The Free Quaker Meetinghouse is a historic Free Quaker meeting house at the southeast corner of 5th and Arch Streets in the Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1783, and is a plain 2 1/2-story brick building with a gable roof. The second floor was added in 1788. The building was moved about 30 feet to its present site in 1961, to allow for the widening of Fifth Street.
Quaker meetings were held in the building until 1836, after which it was occupied by the Apprentices' Library Company of Philadelphia until 1897.
The meetinghouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971."
Year built or dedicated as indicated on the structure or plaque: 1783
 Full Inscription (unless noted above): 1783
Free Quaker
Meeting House
Owned by
Independence
National
Historical Park
Operated by
Historic
Philadelphia, Inc.
 Website (if available): [Web Link]

|
Visit Instructions:
Any log as a visit to a waymark will require a picture as proof that the person visited a particular dated architectural structure. Any posted visits not containing a picture in the log will risk being being deleted.