School House Museum, St. John's Church - (Cappeln) New Melle, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 41.758 W 090° 54.861
15S E 681379 N 4285102
School house was the German School, and the Sunday School
Waymark Code: WMVA70
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 03/22/2017
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Geo Ferret
Views: 0

County of marker: St. Charles County
Location of marker: St. Johannes Lane, next to church, S. of MO-D, 2 miles W. of New Melle
School built: 1875
Church built: 1863

Plaque text:

Built in 1875, it served as a confirmation and German language school until 1935 and a Sunday School until 2003. It is now the church museum. This stone was an entrance step to the church from 1863 to 1890.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"The earliest beginnings of the history of St. John's Church dates back to the late 1830's when several waves of German immigrants arrived in the Missouri River Valley with the hope of settling family farms and finding a new way of life in a land said to be rich in natural resources. One of the most cherished possessions these settlers brought to their new home was their religious faith. . . the Deutsch-evangelische (German Evangelical) faith. The earliest founding of one of these German Evangelical churches was near by Femme Osage, about 1833. "Sometime in 1875, it became apparent that a special building was needed for Christian education and the study of the German language. Thus our present school house was built and has remained much the same today. The official dedication date is listed in the church records as 10 Oct 1875. The school house served for many years as the place in which pastors conducted "German School" and Catechism studies (also in German). This language education was such an important part of German heritage in the Cappeln/New Melle area that children were dismissed from public school at certain times of the year to attend parochial classes here. "Through the years our school house has been used as a meeting room for our youth groups and the Women's Fellowship. It has been the site of many "quilting" days and in recent times it has been used for Sunday School classes. It is now fully restored to its old style with many original items and serves as our church museum . . . a tribute to the devotion and faith of our ancestors. "This increased awareness of the ever-widening understanding of the world in the 20th century finally brought about the use of the English language in the official activities of St. John's, Cappeln. In 1927, Sunday School classes were taught for the first time in English. Then in 1932 one "English" church service per month was begun. Gradually English became the "language" at church until sometime in the 1940's when only one German service was offered each month. "Among the structural changes on the church grounds were the removal of the older storage shed south of the church and the construction of a new storage building to the north of the picnic grounds, done in 1996. In that same year, a new hardwood floor was installed in the school house to replace the old one that had shown signs of semi collapse."

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.