Barron Station - Ashland, OR
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member NW_history_buff
N 42° 07.552 W 122° 36.568
10T E 532279 N 4663825
Quick Description: A historical marker is located in front of a local landmark, the Mountain House, just south of Ashland.
Location: Oregon, United States
Date Posted: 11/26/2017 3:16:00 PM
Waymark Code: WMX4QQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 1

Long Description:
In 1959, the Oregon Centennial Commission produced a number of historical markers made of wood in the shape of the state of Oregon and placed them throughout the state in commemoration of Oregon's centennial. These wooden markers highlighted specific historic points of interest for travelers and tourists to appreciate. Only a few survive today (I mean, really? A wood sign hanging in ANY part of Oregon would deteriorate after a number of years between the rain and snow we get!). One of these wooden markers is located at the historic Mountain Home, erected in 1852 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. The marker reads:

BARRON STATION
1ST STAGECOACH
STOP THIS SIDE OF
SISKIYOUS

1859                        1959

The National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form highlights the significance of the Mountain Home (formerly known as Barron Station) and it reads:

The Mountain House, also known as "Barren's Stage Stop" and "Barren's Station," consists of two connected volumes — the Mountain House itself, built in 1852 and a two story volume that was added to it in 1887. The Mountain House is one of the first frame dwellings built in Oregon south of the Willamette Valley and is the oldest known dwelling in southern Oregon. An important traveler's landmark and way station during the area's pioneer settlement era, the Mountain House is built of plank and balloon framing and remains an intact example of a very early vernacular dwelling. The 1852 Mountain House, although currently in only poor-to-fair condition, retains very high integrity to its original design. The fine two-story volume, also built in the vernacular style, was added to the reoriented Mountain House in 1887 and a contributing brick structure was added to the complex circa 1890 and was an integral element of the property by 1904, when Major Hugh Barren died and the land was transferred to his children.

The Mountain House, built on the nominated property site in 1852 and long used as a stage stop and traveler's station at the southern entrance to Oregon, is one of the first frame structures constructed in southern Oregon and is among the oldest standing buildings in Oregon south of the Willamette Valley. Turned ninety degrees and moved back into the site in 1887 to allow for construction of a two-story volume to the north, the Mountain House remains an important surviving example of one the very earliest examples of the vernacular style in the region. The building retains a clear individual structural identity that documents its original construction and subsequent development on this site. With plank walls, weatherboard siding, early wall and ceiling finishes, trim, and other features, the Mountain House exhibits an high degree of integrity to its original construction more than 150 years ago.

The 1887 two story addition to the Mountain House, built for Major Hugh Barren by noted Ashland builder C. W. Ayers, is almost entirely "as built" more than a century ago. Built in a later expression of the same vernacular tradition, the two story addition is a fine example of its type and serves as an entirely complimentary continuation of the older rear volume. The c.1890s brick outbuilding, while not specifically dated, retains high integrity n design and was clearly on the site during Hugh Barren's life, reflecting the original development period of the property.

The 1852 Mountain House was built and used for nearly three decades as an early emigrant's wayside and then as a stage station upon the major wagon route into Oregon prior to the completion of the railroad line. As enlarged with an architecturally significant, addition in 1887, the Mountain House remains an important local landmark in this portion of southern Oregon and is strongly connected with the history of the area's earliest settlement and development in the last half of the 19th century. The Mountain House meets eligibility Criterion "A" for its strong association with the early settlement of southern Oregon.

The Mountain House, built 1852-1887 with a significant outbuilding built circa 1890 and standing prior to 1904, accurately and effectively conveys its original design, history of development, and the associations for which it is significant under eligibility criterion "A" and "C" for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

Situated at the base of the Siskiyou Mountains south of Ashland, Oregon, the Mountain House was built during the initial settlement period of the Rogue River Valley and long served as an important point in the region's transportation system. Constructed by settlers Hugh F. Barren, James H. Russell and John Gibbs in 1852, the builder first served overland travelers arriving in the valley on the South Emigrant or Applegate trail and the California Oregon Road. Later, designated as a stage station for the California-Oregon Stage Company, the Mountain House, (known also as the Barren Stage Station) served without interruption between from 1860 and 1884 when the Oregon and California Railroad's progress forced the company to terminate their use of the station. Upon the joining of the railroad tracks at Ashland in 1887, stage travel over the Siskiyous came to an end.

The original 1852 Mountain House was relocated on the site and augmented in 1887 by the construction of the two-story front volume. A significant brick outbuilding was constructed to the rear of the house c1890. Combined, the two portions of the Mountain House embody the distinct characteristics of travelers' accommodations in southern Oregon between 1852 and 1887 and the vernacular architectural forms that were prevalent during that period. The c1890 brick outbuilding, an unusual rural example of that type, was built on the property during Hugh Barren's ownership and effectively relates the status of his agricultural development in this area of the valley.

Historic Topic: Pioneer

Group Responsible for placement: Historical Society

Marker Type: Roadside

Region: Southern Oregon

County: Jackson

Web link to additional information: [Web Link]

State of Oregon Historical Marker "Beaver Board": Not listed

Visit Instructions:

Include your thoughts and observations pertaining to this location and your visit. Provide any additional history that you are aware of that pertains to this location. If the marker commemorates a historic building tell us what it is used for now or share with us the circumstances of an earlier visit to bring this locations history to life.

Please upload a favorite photograph you took of the waymark. Although visiting this waymark in person is the only thing required of you to receive credit for your visit, taking the time to add this information is greatly appreciated.

Be creative.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Oregon Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.