The Civil War Comes to Washington - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.700 W 091° 00.765
15S E 673143 N 4270007
Quick Description: Next to new train depot in Railroad Heritage Park
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 8/16/2018 5:33:55 AM
Waymark Code: WMYZPF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of marker: Franklin County
Location of marker: Front St., at foot of Elm St., Railroad Heritage Park, Washington
Erected by Washington Missouri Chamber of commerce; Washington Historical Society; Veterans Hall of Honor, Franklin County, Missouri

Marker Text:

The Civil War
Comes To
WASHINGTON

Washington Railroad Depot Burns
Confederate General Marmaduke's forces were advancing on Washington as October 1864 approached, with fear and widespread panic among the town's residents. Many citizens crossed the river to evade the advance of confederate troops. The School Sisters of Notre Dame, teaching at Saint Francis Borgia Parish grade school, decided to remain. All the sisters, and girls under their care, dressed in warm clothing and anxiously waited for what was to come. The sisters had confidence the Lord would not forsake them and prayed for His protection. As dawn on the morning of October 2nd several Washington citizens approached the confederate troops, under a white flag, surrendering the community. While the surrendered citizens were not viewed as enemies, the troops did not treat them kindly. Fortunately the sisters, and the female students under their care, were afforded the protection of the general.

After plundering of the town ceased towards evening, a confederate officer brought materials, supplies, and gifts to the sisters. The officer stated he was orphaned as a boy and was educated by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. He had a desire to repay them, and thus had taken money out of his pocket to purchase some of the items. The confederate officer is believed to be Captain Joseph Moore, a Commissary officer with the 1st Arkansas Infantry. Believing some of the gifts had been plundered, the sisters returned as many of the items as possible to the rightful owners in the community.

The main body of Marmaduke's troops left Washington on the evening of October 2nd. Subsequently, a remaining company of confederate soldiers set fire to the railroad depot on the river front. This was a common practice to prohibit further use of the railroad by Union troops. Startled, the sisters at Saint Francis Borgia were greatly alarmed that burning embers from the fire would spread to the convent, located at the northwest corner of Elm and Main Streets. The sisters pumped water on a wooden fence to prevent it from igniting. The building just south of the depot then caught fire while Confederate Captain watched the progression of the depot's destruction. Then some barrels of petroleum ignited, causing an explosion.

At that point, in respect to the pleas of the sisters, the Confederate soldiers dropped their weapons, went to the local firehouse to get equipment, and extinguished the fire so it would not endanger the convent. The confederate soldiers soon left town.

A House Divided
Daniel Quimby Gale was born December 23, 1807 in Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He studied law in Maine where he met his wife, Elizabeth Swain. Three children were born to the marriage: Daniel Oscar, Sarah, and Elizabeth. Daniel Quimby Gale moved to Union, Missouri in 1834, and later moved to Washington in 1837. He practiced law and served as a Justice of the County Court, County Judge, and Circuit Attorney, United States Assessor, and Circuit Judge. In 1839, Daniel Gale was elected to the first Board of Trustees for Washington, and also served as Postmaster for nine years.

In August 1862, Daniel Gale enrolled into Union service and was appointed the commander of the 54th Enrolled Missouri Militia for almost the whole duration of the Civil War. His command was temporarily suspended during a short period for an investigation of the death of a southern man, James Barnes, by suspected militia volunteers.

His oldest child, Daniel Oscar Quimbly Gale, born in 1831, had loyalties which differed from his father during the Civil War. He joined the Missouri State Guard, a Confederate unit. On May 6, 1861 he joined the 4th Regiment Missouri Infantry at Cole Camp, Benton County, Missouri, and was later commissioned into the Confederate Army on October 23, 1861. Daniel Oscar went on to serve as a Captain and Commissary Officer in Marmaduke's Division of Calvary until the end of the Civil War when he was captured and paroled at Shreveport, Louisiana June 7, 1865. During Price's Raid on Missouri, Daniel Oscar was in Washington and reportedly visited some of his family

Following the Civil War, Daniel Oscar returned to his home in Washington. He died at the age of thirty-five on August 6, 1866 and is buried in Wildey Cemetery, Washington, MO. His father, Daniel Quimbly [sic] Gale lived to the age of eighty-seven, dying on January 7, 1894, and is buried close to his son in Wildey Cemetery.

The River Boats
Washington was established along the banks of the Missouri River because of the benefits provided by this natural waterway. The railroad, which was later built along its shores, made Washington a prosperous community. But during the Civil War, both the river and the railroad made it a target for Confederate advances.

On 28 September 1864 Major General Rosecrans sent communications to Captain Julius Wilhelmi, Adjutant of the 54th Regiment Enrolled Missouri Militia and to prominent citizens of Washington, to secure the steam ferry boats and guard them. Further communications instructed the militia to, if necessary, destroy the vessels. The two ferries located on the Washington riverfront were named Bright Star and Evening Star. However, only Bright Star was docked at the that time. A reply to General Rosecrans confirmed the Bright Star and all skiffs were secured, preventing the Confederates from capturing them and gaining access to the north side of the Missouri River.

Union troops in Washington had a few supplies and were limited in number, and thus unable to repel an attack by the superior sized Confederate force. On October 2nd, an attack on Washington started at daybreak. During the preceding night, an order was given to evacuate militia troops and the civilian population to the north side of the river by the Bright Star and other boats. Not all civilians complied with this order, and a few paid for it with their lives.

The militia troops were ordered to move to the north side of the river, heading toward the St. Charles area. On their way, while passing by South Point, Confederate troops fired upon the militia with one militia soldier wounded. The militia could see the South Point train station burning, as well as the Dubois Creek Bridge.

The 54th Enrolled Missouri Militia returned to Washington on October 5th after the Confederate troops left Washington. The regimental headquarters was then sent to Pacific, Missouri for guard duty of railroads throughout Franklin County.

Both Bright Star and Evening Star survived the Civil War and continued to operate along the Washington river front for many years.

History of Mark:
"Washington’s most exciting event of the war was the Confederate raid in 1864. Although it was known as “Price’s Raid,” there is no evidence that General Price himself ever entered the town of Washington.

"In the late summer of that year Generals Marmaduke, Price, Shelby and Caball led a wing of the Confederate Army from Arkansas into Missouri. They camped at Sullivan on September 30, and the citizens of Washington were warned of their approach. Breastworks were hastily thrown up along the ridge near Fifth street, but since the Confederate forces were numerous and well equipped, it was evident that the company of Militia at Washington could not hope to defend the town.

"The people made frantic preparations for the raid. Valuables were buried, or hidden in cisterns and under refuse of various kinds. Some of the women baked bread and pies and left them for the raiders. Most of the residents were loaded into farm wagons, and were ferried across the river, where they were cared for by the farm families in that locality. The members of the militia, under the command of Colonel Dan Gale, were also ferried to the other side of the river, and the two ferryboats were taken to St. Charles.

"Some of the refugees huddled in the old covered bridge, at “Quackenbrueck,” as it was called. The Confederates fired at them, and some of the bullets lodged in the bridge, but no one was injured. They could see the burning stations at Washington and South Point, and doubtless expected to find their homes in ruins on their return.

"The raiders ransacked stores and homes. They helped themselves to food, and clothing, and it was said that they went marching down the street with the hair ribbons they had purloined from the stores tied to their bayonets. They even took such bulky articles as spinning wheels and destroyed much food, clothing and furniture either through maliciousness or in their frenzied search for valuables and gold.

"Fortunately the Confederates stayed in Washington but a single day. The damage to property was great, almost, every sound horse in the community was confiscated, and two lives were taken – one a man named Uhlenbrock, and the other young boy name Bartsch. The youngster was shot down when he turned and started to run away to tell his parents of the approach of the Army.
~ The History of Washington, Missouri; chapter IV



Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.