St. Josef Church - Koblenz, Rh.-Pf., Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 20.781 E 007° 35.470
32U E 399762 N 5578089
Quick Description: Church of St. Joseph with a unique steeple in Koblenz.
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 12/9/2018 1:40:34 AM
Waymark Code: WMZNMC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 4

Long Description:
[DE] "Die Pfarrkirche St. Josef ist eine katholische Kirche in der Südlichen Vorstadt von Koblenz. Sie wurde Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts im Zuge der südlichen Stadterweiterung erbaut. Ihr stadtbildprägender Kirchturm ist mit über 90 m der höchste der Stadt. Sie trägt das Patrozinium des heiligen Josefs, was ein Signal der Behauptung der katholischen Kirche gegenüber Preußen wenige Jahre nach dem Kulturkampf darstellt.

Nach Abtrennung von der Pfarrei St. Kastor wurde die neue Gemeinde St. Josef am 29. Februar 1892 eigenständig. Diese wurde in einem neuen Siedlungsgebiet gegründet, das mit Abbruch der Stadtbefestigung ab 1890 südlich des ehemaligen Walls neu entstand. Schon im ersten Plan zur südlichen Stadterweiterung, den der bedeutende preußische Städteplaner Josef Stübben 1889 aufstellte, war die Pfarrkirche als Zentrum und städtebaulicher Höhepunkt des neuen Stadtteils vorgesehen. Erster Pfarrer der Gemeinde wurde Peter Ditscheid (1846–1897). Am 13. Februar 1895 wurde St. Josef zur Pfarrei erhoben. Ditscheid setzte sich für den Neubau einer Kirche ein und stellte den Bauplatz aus seinem Familienbesitz zur Verfügung.
Am 6. August 1894 wurde mit dem Bau der Pfarrkirche St. Josef begonnen, die Grundsteinlegung war am 6. Mai 1895. Das neue Kirchenbauwerk wurde 1895 bis 1897 nach Plänen von Professor Josef Kleesattel aus Düsseldorf errichtet. Die feierliche Konsekration wurde am 16. Mai 1898 vom Trierer Bischof Michael Felix Korum vorgenommen. Im Rahmen der südlichen Stadterweiterung entstanden danach noch die katholische Herz-Jesu-Kirche (1900–1903) und die evangelische Christuskirche (1901–1904).
Bei den schweren Luftangriffen auf Koblenz im Zweiten Weltkrieg wurde die Pfarrkirche St. Josef 1944 stark beschädigt. Zunächst wurde 1948 das Langhaus wieder aufgebaut. Bis 1953 entstanden Querhaus und Chor neu. Am 7. Februar 1954 weihte der Trierer Bischof Matthias Wehr die wiederaufgebaute Kirche. Architekt des Wiederaufbaues war Joseph Kloke.
Eine komplette Restaurierung des Kirchengebäudes erfolgte von 1979 bis 1982 durch den Architekten Wolfgang Schumacher und die Restauratorin Gisela Schreyögg. Dabei erhielt der Kirchenraum sein neugotisches Aussehen so weit wie möglich zurück, nachdem dieses durch die Kriegszerstörungen und den nüchternen Wiederaufbau beeinträchtigt worden war. Ergänzt wurde die Renovierung durch eine neue Turmrosette (1981). Sie ist ein Ersatz für die im Zweiten Weltkrieg zu Bruch gegangene Vorgängerin. In der Aufbauzeit der 1950er Jahre war aus Kostengründen eine Buntverglasung mit eisernen Trägern gewählt worden. Das Bild zeigte, wie St. Christopherus am Deutschen Eck aus dem Rhein stieg, das Jesuskind auf dem Rücken. Diese Fensterkonstruktion war aber witterungsbedingt in einem solch desolaten Zustand, dass die Gelegenheit genutzt wurde, stattdessen eine dem Original nachempfundene Rosette mit Buntglas zu entwerfen. Eine Außensanierung des Kirchenbauwerks wurde 2003–2009 vorgenommen, dabei wurde auch der Kirchturm renoviert."

[EN] "The parish church of St. Joseph is a Catholic church in the southern suburb of Koblenz. It was built at the end of the 19th century in the course of the southern city expansion. Its church tower is the highest in the city at over 90 metres. It bears the patronage of St. Joseph, which is a signal of the Catholic Church's assertion against Prussia a few years after the Kulturkampf.

After separation from the parish of St. Kastor, the new parish of St. Josef became independent on 29 February 1892. It was founded in a new settlement area, which was rebuilt in 1890 with the demolition of the city fortification south of the former rampart. Already in the first plan for the southern expansion of the town, drawn up in 1889 by the important Prussian town planner Josef Stübben, the parish church was intended as the centre and urban planning highlight of the new part of the town. The first parish priest was Peter Ditscheid (1846-1897). On 13 February 1895, St. Joseph was elevated to parish status. Ditscheid supported the construction of a new church and made the building site available from his family estate.
The construction of the parish church of St. Joseph began on 6 August 1894, and the foundation stone was laid on 6 May 1895. The new church structure was erected between 1895 and 1897 according to plans by Professor Josef Kleesattel from Düsseldorf. The solemn consecration was carried out on 16 May 1898 by Bishop Michael Felix Korum of Trier. As part of the southern expansion of the city, the Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart (1900-1903) and the Protestant Church of Christ (1901-1904) were built.
During the heavy air raids on Koblenz in World War II, the parish church of St. Joseph was severely damaged in 1944. First the nave was rebuilt in 1948. Until 1953 the transept and choir were rebuilt. On 7 February 1954 the Trier bishop Matthias Wehr consecrated the rebuilt church. The architect of the reconstruction was Joseph Kloke.
A complete restoration of the church building took place from 1979 to 1982 by the architect Wolfgang Schumacher and the restorer Gisela Schreyögg. The church interior was restored to its neo-Gothic appearance as far as possible after it had been impaired by the destruction during the war and the sober reconstruction. The renovation was completed by a new tower rosette (1981). It is a replacement for its predecessor, which was destroyed in the Second World War. During the construction period of the 1950s, stained glass with iron girders was chosen for cost reasons. The picture showed St. Christopher rising from the Rhine at the German Corner, the Child Jesus on his back. This window construction, however, was in such a desolate state due to the weather that the opportunity was taken to design a rosette with stained glass based on the original instead. The exterior of the church was renovated in 2003-2009, including the church tower."

(visit link)
Location of the Steeple:
St.-Josef-Platz
Koblenz,
56068


Approximate Date of Construction: 1800

Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Enjoy your visit, tell your story and post a picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Unique Steeples
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
CADS11 visited St. Josef Church - Koblenz, Rh.-Pf., Germany 9/18/2021 CADS11 visited it
kaschper69 visited St. Josef Church - Koblenz, Rh.-Pf., Germany 12/9/2018 kaschper69 visited it

View all visits/logs